If there’s one kind of dish that college students know how to make, it’s pasta. Dried pasta is convenient, but fresh pasta tastes so much better for the same cost. It might be intimidating to try without a pasta machine, but by using a wine bottle to roll the dough you can make this in even the most ill-equipped college kitchen. And let’s face it, they almost always are.

Fresh Pasta

• Prep Time:50 minutes
  • Cook Time:3 minutes
  • Total Time:53 minutes

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Photo by Benjamin Martin

Dump the flour on a board and make a well in the middle.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Put the egg, yolks, salt and oil in the middle of the well.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Wisk the egg mixture with a fork.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Slowly incorporate the flour into the egg mixture until the dough pulls together. Try not to break the well until the egg is absorbed by the flour.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Knead the dough until elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.

Flour the table and wine bottle and roll out the dough. Roll until you can see through the dough. Italians claim that you should be able to read a newspaper through the dough but just roll until you can’t roll anymore.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

At this point, you can use the dough for any pasta you want: cut thin for linguini, thicker for pappardelle or even make your own ravioli. Here I made pappardelle by folding the dough and making thick slices with a knife.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Break up the pasta cook anytime from immediately to within 24 hours. Cook in boiling water for 3 minutes.

Photo by Benjamin Martin