With the age-long tea vs. coffee debate still raging on, I feel obliged to take a stance. While coffee is good for a reliable caffeine boost, the vast varieties of tea make it suitable to drink all day, every day. There’s a different type of tea to suit every mood and there’s a different type to soothe any ailment. Read on to find the best tea for your current mood:

Hating the World

tea

Photo by Dyan Khor

The next time you’re feeling down, don’t reach for that pint of Ben & Jerry’s. Instead, grab a bag of orange or lemon tea. The scent of citrus has been proven to boost your moodand the high level of antioxidants found in tea make it a far healthier choice than binge eating ice cream.

Craving a PSL

tea

Photo by Dyan Khor

Love the taste of pumpkin spice but don’t love the insanely high amounts of sugar it contains? Try a pumpkin spice flavored chai or rooibos tea. Chai is naturally fall-appropriate—it’s typically a black tea with cinnamon, cloves and ginger; the addition of pumpkin spice makes it even better tasting than a PSL. Drink a pumpkin spice chai if you want to stay awake, since it contains more caffeine, and drink a pumpkin spice rooibos if you need to de-stress, since it is caffeine-free.

The added bonus of not sipping a Starbucks PSL? Nobody will complain about you being too basic.

Feeling Gassy or Nauseous

tea

Photo by Dyan Khor

Never force yourself to gulp down Pepto Bismol again the next time you have an upset stomach. A better tasting alternative is drinking a cup of ginger tea. Ginger has been proven to soothe your stomachmaking it ideal for all types of stomach issues. Its ability to prevent nausea also make it perfect for those terrible morning hangovers.

Afternoon Slump

tea

Photo by Dyan Khor

When 3pm rolls around, it’s hard to stay awake, especially if you’re stuck at work or in a lecture. Green tea will help boost your energy without the caffeine crash that coffee will sometimes give you. Another alternative is Guayusa tea, the latest food fad from the Amazon. It claims to give you more energy than a cup of coffee would.

If you’re looking for a completely caffeine-free energy-booster, try mint tea—it gives you similar effects without any of the caffeine.

Still Awake at 2am

tea

Photo by Dyan Khor

Random bouts of insomnia hit all of us, usually when we most need to sleep. In order to fall asleep quickly, drink a cup of chamomile tea. It’s been known to relax you by reducing stress and anxiety. Bonus points if it contains lavender, another herb with sleep-inducing properties.

Wondering how to make the perfect cup of tea? Check out this guide here.