Seriously, bring me a shrub because they’re effing amazing. No, it’s not just a weird bushel of fruit, but a syrup made from berries, sugar and vinegar (stay with me, it’s worth it.) It originates from the pre-refrigeration times (the horror!) when American colonialists used vinegar to preserve their fruit in the winter. After the fruit had been successfully preserved and removed, the ever thrifty colonials would add the sweet syrup to spirits or water to make delicious concoctions that are now coming back into vogue. Don’t believe me? They say it’s true, so it must be, eh?

shrub

Photo by Julia Murphy

Vinegars can range from cider to balsamic and any type of fruit, like berries, peaches, rhubarb or grapefruit. The final syrup is added to soft drinks or spirits. Shrubs are most commonly paired with rum, but tequila, champagne and vodka are definitely fair game.

This blackberry rum shrub is sure to keep you cool on even the most sultry of summer days. There are two ways to make shrubs: hot (the more common way) and the cold (the original way). Hot is much faster, but supposedly less flavorful and cold is much slower, but sacrifices no fruitiness.

#TBT Shrub

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 92 minutes

Servings: 2

4 ounces rum
2 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Club soda

Directions:

1. Lightly mash the berries with the sugar  and let sit for 90 minutes until as much juice as possible is extracted from the berries.

shrub

Photo by Julia Murphy

2. Strain the liquid into a bowl by pressing on the fruit to get all the juice out and mix in the vinegar.

shrub

Photo by Julia Murphy

shrub

Photo by Julia Murphy

3. Pour 2 ounces of rum and 1/2 ounce of syrup in each icy glass. Add club soda to each and stir.

shrub

Photo by Julia Murphy

Instant Gratification Shrub

Medium

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 2

4 ounces dark rum
2 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup balsamic vinegar
Club soda

Directions:

1. Combine berries, sugar and vinegar in medium saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously.
2. When boiling, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes as the berries break down.
3. Pour mixture into a bowl over a fine strainer and/or cheese cloth and let strain for 30 minutes. Throw the solids away and refrigerate the syrup.
4. Pour 2 ounces of rum and 1/2 ounce of syrup in each icy glass. Add club soda to each and stir.