Update: Fraiche is now closed.

Those who know it love it and those who don’t know it probably live on south campus. This restaurant gem is located up north on Noyes Street and has about 10 tables, but don’t let the small size deter you—the food is to die for. Mounted on Fraîche’s light blue walls is their chalk-written menu with around 15 choices for breakfast and lunch plus a few specials that change regularly. The atmosphere and décor are refreshing, with natural light flooding in from the big windows, pale wooden floors and a pastry case centerpiece.

Photo by Christina Cala

Fraîche is currently in transition from self-service to a full-service restaurant. Until the full transformation is complete, orders are still taken at the cash register and tables are swooped up at your discretion. The service, therefore, is somewhat slow with only two waiters working the cashier and bringing out food. Also, tables can be hard to find, but in this case that is a testament to the delicious food.

One of the most popular breakfast dishes is the Egg Torta, a flavorful, savory breakfast sandwich with scrambled eggs, Chihuahua cheese, black beans and house roasted tomato salsa on a challah hoagie. Another favorite is the Nutella French Toast, which is brioche stuffed with nutella, banana, molasses gastrique, strawberries, candied hazelnuts and orange marscapone cream. Fraîche also supports the local Nichols Farm and bases many of the menu items off of its produce, such as the Nichols Farm fingerling potatoes with spring onion, duck fat and a sunny side up egg.

Photo by Christina Cala

The menu changes regularly, partly due to the new chef and partly due to Fraîche’s commitment to local, seasonal ingredients. The homemade pastries are also constantly changing but consistently feature some fruity desserts, a yummy twist on a classic chocolate cupcake, scones and cookies. Right now they’re offering blueberry streusel cake, milk chocolate custard cupcake, chocolate rum toffee cake and many more original creations.

Photo by Christina Cala

Fraîche is the perfect brunch place for a lazy Sunday morning. Enjoy a cappuccino and pastry while you wait for your main meal, and don’t forget to show your Wildcard for a discount!

Price Range: Moderate $$

Spring Hours:
Monday – Friday    7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday    8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday    8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

815 Noyes St., Evanston, IL