Truffles and toffee and fudge, oh my! The Chicago Fine Chocolate Show (CFCS) was not an event for the faint of heart, or stomach, for that matter. With over 100 vendors carrying everything from homespun candies to savory puff pastries, this event showcased all that the world of chocolate has to offer. The event took place at Navy Pier, an ideal setting for this carnival of confections.

With demonstrations by the French Pastry School of Kennedy-King College Chicago, a major sponsor of the show, attendees of the weekend-long event were able to learn basic confectionery skills. One session taught the proper technique for tempering chocolate, a task that may seem easy on a TV screen but can be almost impossible to perfect in the kitchen. Other information sessions indulged participants in industry-insider information, such as a session that showcased the journey of chocolate from bean to bar.

Included in the price of the ticket was not only admission to the show but also opportunities to enjoy generous samples from vendors. But ticketless fans were not out of luck: plenty were willing to offer tastes of their treats to the broke chocolate-lovers as well. Many offered deals on already boxed and packaged treats, a convenient way for attendees to get a jump on their holiday shopping without leaving their chocolate utopia.

Even though the Chicago Fine Chocolate Show comes around once a year, many of the vendors are based in the Chicago area. Chocoholics can visit the stores or order online for a year-round chocolate fix.