When life gives you lemons…

…and flour, sugar, yogurt and eggs… make a lemon yogurt loaf! This breakfast loaf is to die for. The yogurt makes it moist and tangy, the lemons make it bright and fresh, and the glaze makes it sweet enough to placate those Sunday morning cake-for-breakfast cravings.

Adapted from Ina Garten’s Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe

Medium

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: Approximately 50 minutes if you are using a regular-sized loaf pan or around 25 minutes if you are using mini loaf pans
Total time: 45-70 minutes

Servings: 6-8

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a standard loaf pan.
Tip: I used 4 mini loaf pans and I highly recommend it if you do not have a regular one. The mini lemon loaves are easy to freeze and then they can be thawed to eat another day! Plus, this loaf just looks so cute when it’s mini!
2. With a whisk, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until there are no lumps.
5. Fold (or whisk) the vegetable oil into the batter until fully incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and place in the oven.

Photo by Maddy Shannon

Tip: Baking times will vary depending on your particular oven and the kind of pan used. The times given are a guideline. Just keep an eye on your loaves. When you stick a knife into the loaf and it comes out “clean” (without batter on it) the loaves are done.

Photo by Maddy Shannon

7. While your loaves are baking, make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Tip: You can adjust the ratio of powdered sugar and lemon juice to taste.
8. When your loaves are done, take them out and let them cool. The glaze can be added while they are hot if you want it to soak into the loaf, or while they are cool if you want it to semi-harden on top.

Photo by Maddy Shannon

Photo by Maddy Shannon