We’ve spent months reading the flyers and advertisements in Norris, with growling stomachs just waiting to be filled with delicious Mexican food. And now the day has finally arrived: Frontera Fresco is officially open. Big-screen monitors in the hallways of the Frontera Fresco service station read, “Open Friday, November 30th at 8 a.m.!” Just as the sign read, Frontera opened its doors to the Northwestern community for the first time.

Frontera Fresco Has Arrived!

Photo by Alexa Santos

Food wasn’t going to be officially served until 11:00 a.m., but by 11:00 there was already a line of anxious, hungry students waiting to be served. According to head of Development and Marketing of Frontera Fresco, Stacy Dixon, technical malfunctions of the cash registers delayed the food service a bit, but by 11:15 the staff was in the swing of things and getting orders out.

The first savory dish in Frontera Fresco at Northwestern’s history was served at about 11:20 a.m. to junior Bonnie Chung. Chung ordered two chipotle chicken tacos, and was quite pleased with the product. “I’m really excited that [Frontera Fresco] is open, I’ve been waiting very anxiously! My friend and I wanted to get here early.”

Frontera Fresco Has Arrived!

Photo by Alexa Santos

The line for the “savory” section of the restaurant remained quite sizeable for the duration of the lunch rush, but the breakfast/sweets section remained relatively quiet with no notable line.

Another satisfied customer was freshman Veronica Johnson. Johnson has been very excited for the opening because, “I love Mexican food. I’ve been to other Frontera Fresco locations and the food is fast, fresh, and flavorful,” she stated.

All things considered, the staff seemed well-prepared and ready to handle the lunch rush, and once they work out the kinks, Frontera Fresco seems as though it will be operating at full capacity in no time.

Frontera Fresco Has Arrived!

Photo by Alexa Santos