Hangovers come and hangovers go, and nothing helps a hangover quite like an eggy breakfast sammie. Chances are you already have most of the four or five ingredients handy which means you are only 25 minutes away from a homemade Egg and Bacon McBiscuit. Nothing tastes quite so good in the morning as something eggy, cheesy, and loaded with bacon. Why venture to the nearest McDonald’s (and here at Northwestern, the nearest McDonald’s isn’t all that near) when it’s easy to make a McBiscuit or McMuffin at home?

And yes, you can ditch the ‘Mc,’ but it makes it all the more fun to fry up… While the all time favorite ‘Mc’-anything is clearly the Egg McMuffin, a recent trip to Nashville awakened me to the beauty of pre-made biscuits. While there ain’t nothin’ like the real buttermilk thing, in a pinch, pre-made biscuits in a largely homemade sammie do just fine. Once you pile a freshly baked biscuit—whether or not it came out of a tube—with freshly fried country ham, eggs, and cheese, you’re already three-quarters homemade and 100 percent delicious. (Fractions, ugh. Sorry.) That first sammie hooked me, and I’ve had biscuits in the fridge ever since.

The key to this homemade breakfast sammie is perfecting the egg-technique. Instead of doing a quick scramble of cheesy eggs, while delicious, I’ve discovered that a very thin, single or double egg ‘packet’ is not only easier to make, but it’s the perfect cheese melting vessel. The packet traps in the heat, all the while toasting on the outside for a bit of nice, nutty texture. Since the egg is already folded, it’s perfectly biscuit-sized and ready for bacon. As you bite into the sammie, the egg packet breaks and oozes cheese. Causally. Not a bad way to start the morning. Not bad at all.

Note: If you’re looking to cut time, just toast up an English muffin or some bread. While it’s not quite a McBiscuit, bacon and an egg-packet on either is just as delicious. And quite possibly lower in fat. Which clearly is an issue.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 2

2 Pillsbury biscuits (refrigerate the unbaked biscuits in a sealed contained to keep fresh)
2 large eggs
Thinly sliced or shredded Cheddar cheese (or American cheese if you’re feeling the McDonald’s original), to taste
Bacon or country ham
Pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. On a sheet of foil, bake the biscuits for 17 minutes or until golden brown.
3. While the biscuits are baking, fry up as much bacon as you desire in a medium nonstick frying pan. I recommend two slices per biscuit. Set bacon aside and reserve a slick of bacon grease in the frying pan.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs with a splash of water and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Pour the egg into the bacon frying pan and swirl the eggs into a thin layer so that it creates a crepe-like omelet.
6. Cook the eggs for two minutes over medium heat and then put the cheese in the middle.

Photo by Nina Lincoff

7. Fold two opposing edges of the egg-crepes two-thirds of the way over to make an open-ended burrito. Then, fold the two remaining side over to make an egg packet. Cook for an additional one minute before flipping over and cooking for one more minute.

Photo by Nina Lincoff

8. Halve the biscuits and layer on as much bacon as you like. Top each biscuit with half the egg packet and then the biscuit top.

Photo by Nina Lincoff