Let’s be real: it’s next to impossible to keep a fully stocked fridge. Recall the last time you found yourself staring into a colorful, overflowing, cold cornucopia. It probably only took a few overzealous meals to bring you right back to where you started. But the next time you stare into a nearly empty fridge, worry not. This recipe uses fruit you probably have sitting on your counter, and the quinoa can be substituted for whatever grain you have on hand. Once you restock, jazz up this recipe by adding toasted walnuts, goat cheese and fresh parsley.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups spinach
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice from 2 oranges
1. Pour quinoa into a strainer and rinse under cool water until water runs clear.
2. Bring quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook quinoa until it has absorbed all of the water, stirring occasionally.
3. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and place the bowl uncovered in the fridge to chill.
4. Slice the apples into bite-sized pieces.
5. Cut each orange in half and squeeze over a bowl to catch the juice. Remove any seeds from the juice.
6. Toss together quinoa, spinach, apples, orange juice and olive oil.
7. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.