St. Andrew’s Day has always been a big deal in my house, but that might have less to do with my being Scottish and more to do with it coinciding with my sister’s birthday. Old Andy was a great guy though- the patron saint of Scotland and the name sake of the town we live in- so it’s only fair we celebrate his big day properly. Especially since it is now a *public holiday* so we have a lot to thank him for.

Typically it involves a day of Scottish celebrations: dancing, drinking, bagpipes, the usual. And most importantly, it is the feast day of Saint Andrew. So if you feel like celebrating properly or using baking as a means of procrastination then look no further. Cue amazing and authentically Scottish treats below.

1. Traditional Homemade Shortbread

Scottish sweet treats

Photo by Lucy Jones

Shortbread is pretty easy to find anywhere these days, and the recipe is spiced up in all sorts of ways like this one using Earl Grey tea. But the good ol’ fashioned Scots stuff uses just flour, sugar, and lots of butter. Shortbread is great at any time and all the time, but is traditionally eaten around the festive period (which is basically now). And don’t worry if you’re lactose intolerant/vegan since it pretty much just as delicious using dairy-free butter.

2. Scottish Tablet

Scottish sweet treats

Photo by Lucy Jones

Often mistaken for fudge, this national trademark is the complimentary sweet treat you are given when you order a hot drink at Mitchell’s. The difference: tablet is much less chewy than fudge and slightly sweeter. In fact, it’s basically all sugar. Among Scottish natives, you tend to find that everyone claims there is no better tablet than their Gran’s homemade recipe. But this one is good too.

3. Cranachan

Scottish sweet treats

Photo courtesy of bbcgoodfood.com

A total gem and a great crowd pleaser in the event of a dinner party. Using whipped cream, raspberries, honey and oats, it is pretty easy to put together and takes almost no time at all. Looks especially impressive in a fancy wine or champagne glass, and add some fresh heather to the top to look extra #authentic. Tastes like Eton Mess but is almost infinitely better, definitely because it’s Scottish/because of the added whisky.

4. Dundee Cake

Scottish sweet treats

Photo courtesy of rivercottage.net

This one is far less well known outside of Scotland and more of an acquired taste- comparable to fruit cake, or Christmas cake. If that’s your cup of tea, it’s a fun one to make and lasts for weeks. And since it’s originally from Dundee (shocker), St. Andy will be super honoured by a recipe from so close to home. Top tip if you don’t feel like baking: Fisher and Donaldson do a great one for only £3.

5. Scottish Scones

Scottish sweet treats

Photo by Lucy Jones

So, many associate scones with England: afternoon tea, The Queen, croquet etc. But the truth is they are originally Scottish and are best when done in the true Scottish way. This often involves using oats, and most importantly means spreading them with butter and real Scottish Marmalade- no, ‘orange jelly’ does not count.  Enjoy them while watching Braveheart or swearing at the weather and feel like a true Scot whether you’re a native or not.