Spoon University Logo
Lifestyle

A Spoon University Guide to the Spice Cabinet

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UVM chapter.

When building out your first college dorm or university apartment kitchen, your spice cabinet may be the least of your worries. After all, you have to make sure you have cute travel mugs, solid dishware, all of your serving utensils, and enough packs of rice for a few weeks. (If you feel like you’re forgetting something, don’t worry, we have you covered with Spoon University’s College Kitchen Packing List!) However, don’t forget to have some staple spices at your disposal. Aside from salt and pepper, a good sprinkle of Italian herbs could level-up your late-night buttered noodle game. If you’re not sure where to start, here are some of the most useful and ubiquitous spices you should have on hand and how to use them. These 13 herbs and seasonings should be your spice cabinet essentials.

Cinnamon

This one seems like a no-brainer! It’s naturally a very comforting and soothing spice that is typically found in baked goods and even your Pumpkin Spice Latte. For me, cinnamon is a very nostalgic spice that brings me back to my childhood, baking apple crisps with my mom in our tiny Connecticut kitchen.

Need a quick and sweet breakfast? Make a quick piece of buttered toast and sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top. It can also be used to add a depth of flavor to spicy chilis and curries as well! 

Best Flavor Pairings: Apples/bananas/peaches, coffee, cakes, and toasts/bread

(Freshly Ground) Black Pepper 

Like salt, pepper is by far one of the most important kitchen staples. It can be added to almost any dish and is found in most savory recipes. I prefer to use freshly ground black pepper rather than pre-ground because I think it packs a little more flavor as the size of the ground peppercorns varies. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Roasted veggies, sweet/regular potatoes, meats, eggs- really anything savory! 

Spices spices oregano
Victoria Hoang

Cumin

Cumin can typically be found in many Southwestern dishes such as tacos. It’s one of my favorite spices because it really packs a distinct flavor. Cumin is typically paired with coriander and chili powder. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Roasted sweet potato, beans, yellow/red onions, and mushrooms

Chili Powder

Chili powder is actually a spice blend including cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and paprika. Its cayenne influence makes this a spice with some kick, so it should be used gradually to ensure that it doesn’t overpower the other flavors in the dish. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Eggs, beans, red/white meats, roasted veggies, chili, tacos/enchiladas, and rice

Italian Seasoning 

Italian seasoning typically contains a mix of oregano, basil, parsley, marjoram, and rosemary. It’s a good compound spice to have on hand if you don’t have access to its individual components. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Marinara sauce, homemade flatbreads, white/red meats, eggs, baked potatoes, pasta

Thyme 

Thyme is one of my other favorite herbs. It can be described as having a fragrant, almost evergreen-like undertone. Its Mediterranean origins mean that it pairs well with other foods of that region. It’s also an important ingredient in Thanksgiving foods such as stuffing, turkey, roasted veggies, etc. I personally love a bit of thyme in my comfort foods such as chicken pot pie.  

Best Flavor Pairings: Squash, rice, pasta, tomatoes, cheese, and creamy soups/broths. 

Onion Powder

Onion powder is one of the most essential spices that any cook should have on hand. It can be added to almost any dish and is especially useful when sautéed onions aren’t optimal. And let’s be real…who has time to chop fresh onions after a long day wandering around campus? Although I would argue that nothing replaces real onions, onion powder provides a little help to dishes that crave an onion-y flavor. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Roasted nuts, sauces, eggs, red/white meats, and roasted veggies

Garlic Powder

Like onion powder, garlic powder is a good spice to keep on hand if you don’t have access to fresh garlic. Like its fresh counterpart, garlic pairs well with most dishes across various cuisines. You can even make your life easier by getting garlic salt. Add a pinch of this to soups, pastas, veggies, etc. and you’re set. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Veggies, soups, pastas, meats, veggies and eggs

Curry Powder

You might think that curry powder is only for curries, but this mix of warm spices pairs well with cold salads and meats as well! There are tons of different curry combinations out there, including some that are more savory and some that are more sweet. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Soups, veggies, curry, chicken/egg salad, and roasted meats. 

Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Crushed red pepper flakes are necessary for anyone who loves adding spice to nearly everything they eat. For example, many pizza lovers can’t enjoy their delicious slice without a sprinkle of this dried red chili pepper. You can sprinkle these on pasta dishes, meat marinades, veggies, and the like. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Soups, veggies, meats, fish, pastas

Paprika

Paprika may don a deep red color, but no worries, it’s not a spice with a ton of heat. Depending on its variety, it can have a sweeter taste or a smoky flavor. It’s most commonly used in Hungarian and Spanish dishes and can add a pop of flavor to soups, stews, BBQ foods, etc. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Soups, meats, fish, eggs

Nutmeg

If you’re a baker, nutmeg is a must—especially during the holiday season. Often paired with cinnamon, nutmeg is vital in the preparation of pumpkin breads, apple cakes, roasted fruit dishes, and the like. But, it also can be used in savory dishes such as butternut squash soup and honey-roasted vegetables. 

Best Flavor Pairings: Cakes, cookies, veggies, soups

Everything Seasoning

Sure, this might not be your typical seasoning, but let me explain why this is a pantry staple. This mix of poppy seeds, toasted sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt isn’t just for bagels. It dazzles on top of avocado toast and it’s an easy go-to when making a quick roasted potato or veggie. Plus, it makes eggs, noodles, popcorn, salad dressings, etc. absolutely shine. If you’re a Trader Joe’s girlie, you already know that this seasoning is a spice cabinet essential.

Best Flavor Pairings: Eggs, toast, pasta, meat, veggies, salads

These seasonings and herbs are just the entryway into the delicious world of spice. Enjoy being creative and seeing what flavors make your dishes stand out. It’s time to add some spice to your life–literally. 

This article was originally published on May 15, 2020. 

Sara found her passion for writing and editing as an editorial intern (and later copy editor, managing editor, and editorial director) at bSmart Guide: an online women's publishing platform focused on women's wellness and professional mentorship. She became the president and editorial director at Spoon University-Vermont in March 2020. When she's not writing, Sara enjoys reading, fitness, yoga, and hiking. She currently lives in Vermont and studies Environmental Studies, Food Systems, and Nutrition & Food Science at UVM. After graduation, she plans on pursuing a M.S. in Agricultural Extension Education and becoming a 4-H Youth Development Coordinator.