Spoon University Logo
51863792 10157069857273817 9181981024706363392 n.jpg? nc cat=111& nc ht=scontent iad3 1
Lifestyle

Hit or Miss: Valentine’s Day Candy Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at U Conn chapter.

It’s time for hearts, teddy bears, and Valentine’s Day candy again! “

It’s easy to become overwhelmed by what to pick for your valentine in rows of shelves overflowing with every candy imaginable, but now in a special edition pink and red wrapper.

Whether you’re shopping for your significant other, crush, or best friend here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind with a hit or miss Valentine’s Day candy edition.

Hit: Chocolate Covered Strawberries

valentine's day candy chocolate candy
Justin Shannin

A classic, but for good reason.

A bite into a chocolate covered strawberry will bring love into anyone’s heart.

Extra points if you can manage to concoct a batch of these in your own kitchen!

Miss: Creme Filled Anything

Don’t do it.

It’s tempting; every grocery store will be overflowing with heart shaped boxes that look promising.

This seems great–until your valentine sinks their teeth into oozy strawberry filling that no one signed up for.

Hit: Hershey’s Kisses

Once again, a classic.

A handful of these will be sure to have your valentine smiling, and you might get your own kiss out of it.

Miss: Gummy Candy

Thank u, next. No gummy worms here.

Save gummy textured anything for a reject Halloween candy pile.

Hit: Chocolate Bar

Yes! Hershey’s, Kit Kats, and Twix are all great options.

There are many specialty types of Kit Kats particularly, and a little twist on a well-loved chocolate bar shows you care, and it makes for a great conversation starter.

Miss: Lollipops

valentine's day candy candy sweet
Kate Zizmor

Although there are plenty of red, pink, or heart shaped lollipops out there, don’t buy into it (literally).

Honestly, your valentine would probably prefer a pack of gum over this anyway.

The Takeaway

Overall, chocolate is a good move.

Skip on fillings (cremes and nougats), and stay with reliable options.

Remember, if you make it at home or put a decent amount of thought into what you pick out, your valentine will be appreciative no matter what.