Spoon University Logo
fullsizeoutput 2059
fullsizeoutput 2059
Lifestyle

I Turned Gas Station Snacks Into Presentable 5-Star Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at San Diego chapter.

We’ve all heard the expression “you eat with your eyes” but how far does this really take you? I wanted to put this to the test by presenting gas station desserts as if they were prepared at a restaurant. I only spent $15 on ingredients and prepared three different plates. I mean, what’s the real harm in tricking your brain if it saves you a few bucks?

This all came about after I was perusing around the aisles of Whole Foods begging myself not to give in to the $10 cupcakes, so I figured why spend a ton of money on “fresh” and “quality” ingredients when 7/11 is just a short uber away?

Rules and Regulations

Gas Station chips dairy product
Reed Erickson

To mirror what a pâtissier would do given the same opportunity, I followed the four basic elements of platted desserts: main element, sauce, crunch, garnish. Of course there is so much more to dessert plating, but to simplify things for myself, I cut it down to just those four. Full disclosure, I have never had any form of professional training in this field so basically I just winged it.

I think it’s safe to say that when we think “high-quality desserts” the last place our mind goes to is a gas station—perfect for my challenge! I put exactly zero effort into researching what gas station desserts are actually the most popular, so my haul is completely based off of what I think are the most iconic. Now let’s get this party started.

Round 1: Twinkies & Warheads

Gas Station water
Reed Erickson

Oh what a sight—yellow sponge cake with mysteriously thick frosting poking through the bottom, how ever could I disturb such natural beauty?  

Gas Station
Reed Erickson

Here we have a Twinkie dredged in chopped peanuts and Warhead sugar adorned with pulled sugar all over a raspberry Mamba gastrique, garnished with dusted Warhead sugar. (or, for the laymen, I rolled a Twinkie in some peanuts and basically fun dip then melted the Mamba candy and put it on a plate.) 

Round 2: Hoho & Reese’s

Gas Station candy sweet
Reed Erickson

Next, I took on the Hohos and Reese’s. Although I don’t need too much convincing to know that these taste good, I still tried to make them look restaurant-quality-good. 

Gas Station dairy product cream
Reed Erickson

I started by deconstructing the Hoho into layers of cake, chocolate and cream. I then reassembled it switching off between cake chocolate and thinly-sliced Reese’s to make a petit four. Then I threw the Reese’s in the microwave and used that as the sauce element. A chocolate candy was placed on top of the cake doing double duty as a crunch factor as well as for garnish. 

Round 3: Lemon Fruit Pie & Sno Ball

Gas Station
Reed Erickson

This last dish was by far the hardest because I needed to use, arguably, the most famous of all the gas station sweets: the lemon fruit pie. Not only was finding a piece of this overly-sweet artificial pocket of yellow dyes number 5 and 6 a struggle, but I was also left with the white mound of coconut flavored glucose that is the Hostess Sno Ball.   

I piped a combination of Sno Ball filling, Lemon Pie filling, and grape Warhead sugar mixed with water on the plate and topped the lemon drops with raisins. Then I cut the marshmallow into a small triangle and hid it under more spun sugar made from melting the lemon Mamba candy. 

Gas Station vegetable
Reed Erickson

Final Thoughts

Gas Station chips sweet
Reed Erickson

Presentation-wise, I give myself 7/10—first of all, because this was my first time plating anything. Second of all, poor me, my first time was with trash I picked up at a gas station, so I cut myself some slack.

Of course, that is all subjective, but I can tell you that these dishes tasted like sh*t. Just terrible. I really did try all of them. If anything, I made them taste worse by combining them. Safe to say, I lose. 

If you ever feel like hitting up your local gas station before a dinner party rather than splurging on nice desserts, please reconsider… unless you hate your friends, then you should defiantly try this! 

Reed Erickson

San Diego '19

Hi everyone! My name's Reed, I'm originally from Washington DC. I love music festivals, cats and food!