Spoon University Logo
Iced Coffee In Hand
Iced Coffee In Hand
Alex Frank / Spoon
Lifestyle

Different Forms of Ice are More Important Than You May Think

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Rutgers chapter.

When you want a cold drink, you add ice, but what form is best? Here’s all the information you need to know about the interesting world of ice!

Ice Cubes are the jack of all trades! Their shape allows you to cram a bunch of them into a cup at once, offering a constant supply of coolness for extended periods of time. You can always find ice cube trays at a variety of stores for a very low price, and many refrigerators produce it themselves!

Gourmet Ice has an interesting, fancy ring to it. This ice is known for its spherical shape, often found in higher-end dining establishments. The ice has a much slower melting time, allowing it to keep your drink cool without diluting it. Gourmet Ice is interesting in the way it is made. To make Gourmet Ice, a different freezing method is used, which removes bubbles and any other inconsistencies that could make the ice less clear.

Nugget Ice is for all those ice-chewers out there! This ice is more porous, softening the ice and making crunching easier and more fun. It’s commonly found in fast-food restaurants, hospitals, and homes worldwide to rapidly cool down your desired drink. Its porousness also allows liquid to enter it and create delicious flavored ice once the drink is finished. If you know someone who loves to snack on ice without putting their teeth to hard work, recommend them this amazing form of frozen goodness!

Mojito
Keriss101 / Spoon

Flake Ice is another one for the ice enthusiasts! The small and thin pieces of ice are perfect for quick cooling and beautifying your drink of choice. While they can also be fun to eat while enjoying your drink, they also serve a more practical, serious purpose. The thin pieces allow the ice to pack in and conform around items that need to be frozen outside of the drink world. Keeping perishables frozen, maintaining the freshness of food on display, and keeping an injury covered for longer periods of time make great use of this ice.

Philz
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Half-Cube Ice can be thought of as a cousin to regular ice cubes. These smaller cubes are used for quick, effective cooling while keeping the drink undiluted. Their small size allows even more ice to be stuffed into drinks and containers than their whole-cube counterparts. This also means you can create the illusion of a fuller cup without having to use as much liquid, which is good for a business but maybe not for a consumer. Be sure to look out for this technique so you know just how much drink you’re getting yourself into. Their space efficiency goes beyond the glass, too! Machines that create half-cube ice are typically able to hold greater amounts of ice than the standard ice cube-making machine.

Crescent Ice is exactly as it sounds. Its half-circle shape allows for more efficient packing into glasses, just like Half-Cubed Ice. This ice also minimizes splashing when liquid is poured into it, allowing for a quicker, easier pour. Their smooth shape is perfect for creating a very aesthetically appealing piece of liquid art that tastes good, too! Additionally, Crescent Ice allows machines to use less energy and liquid, keeping costs down!

How Can You Get Different Ice Shapes?

Shaped ice is often considered fancy, making it an easy way for you to enhance the visual aspects of your drinks! While you could get ice trays that create different shapes, a much quicker method involves an ice press. These quickly and easily can turn a regular block of ice into beautiful sizes and shapes. You can even customize some ice presses to include a logo or design of your choosing. Many of these ice presses work quickly and without electricity. The metal naturally picks up warmth, and its weight can effortlessly press your ice into your desired shape.

In the End, Ice is Ice…

Regardless of which form of ice you choose, they all have one main purpose. Keep whatever they come in contact with cold. If it can do it with elegance, increased efficiency, or enhanced drinking experience, even better! Hopefully, you were able to learn a little something about the ice world and maybe pass it on to any drink enthusiast you may know. Happy drinking!

I love exercising my creativity and making people feel happy.