Spoon University Logo
Screen Shot 2016 06 07 at 9.50.44 PM
Screen Shot 2016 06 07 at 9.50.44 PM
Reviews

Where to Eat in Coronado If You Only Have a Weekend, As Told by a Local

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Pepperdine chapter.

The next time you plan a weekend getaway or a quick day trip to the San Diego area, make sure you check out Coronado Island. Coronado is a quaint beach island located south of San Diego known for the famous Hotel Del Coronado that sits on a gorgeous, world-famous beach.

Coronado

Photo courtesy of tia.photoshelter.com

I was lucky enough to spend the first seven years of my life living on the island where I could pedal around town on my beach cruiser and spot the tourists walking up and down Orange Avenue. I love going back to Coronado to visit friends, check out the new shops and restaurants and escape from reality by hanging at the beach.

Coronado

Photo by Antonella Cooper

Here’s a complete list of the best places in Coronado to check out to get the most out of your trip and not look like a complete tourist. 

Day 1

Breakfast: Clayton’s Diner

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @ekayani_musical_yoga on Instagram

Start your morning off at one of the oldest establishments on the Island. Clayton’s features the classic diner foods like saucer-sized pancakes, biscuits and gravy and milkshakes (yes for breakfast).

It is one of my favorite places to go when I visit Coronado because it brings back childhood memories and you get the old school vibes with the on-table jukeboxes. I recommend trying the Buttermilk Hotcakes and the Toad in the Hole. 

Lunch: Tartine 

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @Readbite on Instagram

After breakfast, head to the northeast side of the island for a European lunch at Tartine. They offer great paninis, quiches, and pastries. I recommend trying their Spinach, Tomato and Gruyere Quiche with a cup of soup.

Coffee Break: The Coronado Coffee Company

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @maggie_mayy23 on Instagram

Stop for a quick caffeine boost and explore the shops at the Ferry Landing. If you have time, you can even take the ferry over to San Diego.

Dinner: Leroy’s Kitchen + Lounge

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @shotbycolleen on Instagram

This restaurant focuses on bringing farm-to-table dining to the island of Coronado. The menu changes seasonally to offer guests the freshest dishes. I recommend trying Poke Tacos and the Blistered Shishito Peppers.

Day 2

Breakfast: Bruegger’s Bagels

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @lettucedine on Instagram

This breakfast joint is also located on Orange Avenue and is the perfect place to get a grab-and-go breakfast to start off your day of exploring the island. I highly recommend one of their breakfast sandwiches because #instagrambagelgoals. 

Lunch: Picnic at the Del with Boney’s sandwiches 

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @abbyjaayne on Instagram

Eating at the Hotel Del can be quite pricey, so if you aren’t down to drop some cash on lunch, have a picnic at the beach in front of the hotel. You’ll get the same view and experience for less. I recommend buying a sandwich or salad from Boney’s Bayside Market on Orange Avenue.

Dinner: The Brigantine Seafood Restaurant

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @jazz_in_april on Instagram

The Brigantine is a Coronado classic with some of the best fish tacos in town. I would recommend making a reservation for dinner during the weekend because the Brigantine is always hoppin’.

Dessert: Moo Time Creamery

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @mootimecreamery on Instagram

I’m pretty sure this is the only ice cream shop where you’ll find a statue of Elvis and a cow outside. Once upon a time, Elvis had a microphone, but someone stole it. Definitely try one of their handmade waffle cones and don’t forget to take a picture with the King.

Day 3

Brunch: Gustatory

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @gustatory_coronado on Instagram

You won’t find another breakfast spot dishing Benedict Arnold Palmer. It’s a twist on the classic eggs Benedict with a tea-infused hollandaise sauce. There are many more creative dishes at this new breakfast and lunch joint on the island so be sure to check it out.

Sugar Stop: Fuzziwig’s Candy Factory

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @fatfoodqueen on Instagram

Stock up on some sweets to munch on while you’re walking around town or hanging out at the beach. They have a sweet bulk candy section as well has homemade fudge and caramel apples. If you’re overwhelmed, try the Coronado Crunch, a cluster of peanut butter, white chocolate, marshmallows, rice krispies, and chocolate chips, or munch on an Apple Pie caramel apple.

Dinner: Saiko Sushi

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @saikosushi on Instagram

End your busy trip with fresh sushi and a killer view of the Ferry Landing at Saiko Sushi. They have a great happy hour with discounted rolls from 2:30-5:30 on the weekdays and feature different fish dishes throughout the year. Try their Shrimp Tots and one of their signature rolls.

My name is Hannah Cooper, but most people just call me Coops. I'm a junior at Pepperdine studying Nutritional Science and working towards my RD certification. When I'm not taking pictures of food, I'm usually cooking in the kitchen or running to the beach. Follow my food instagram @califoodielifestyle