Picture this: you’re on lunch break in downtown DC. The intern manager gives you half an hour to leave the cubicle and pick up some grub. You could defrost a bland microwave meal in the office kitchen, but life is too short for that—especially when there’s a host of food trucks hawking tantalizing treats just down the street.

The trucks are usually nameless, advertising themselves only with an eye-catching menu board on the sidewalk. They seldom park at the same spot from day to day, but generally congregate near the Federal Triangle. All the food in this article can be found within a few blocks of it.

Many DC locals forget about the astounding array of street food available in their own backyard. The Capital’s “dirty water” cooks offer far more than just hot dogs and pretzels (though those are scrumptious, too).

Here are five of the best outside-the-box dishes to try when lunchtime on the beltway rolls around.

5) California chicken burrito bowl

Elliott Parrish

The worst constraint of cooking from a food truck is extremely kitchen limited space. With that in mind, it’s surprising to see an entrée with this many ingredients on the list.

My burrito bowl came loaded with the works: black beans, salsa, shredded romaine, sour cream and marinated, grilled chicken.

That marinade tasted of adobo and ancho chilies, smoky but not scalding, with a twist of lime to chase off the spice. The tomato salsa was comparatively mild and the romaine provided a nice crunch. All this was piled atop steamed white rice.

I prefer it without the cheese; American isn’t my favorite. But I’m amazed at how many ingredients can fit on a countertop hardly bigger than my Nissan’s dashboard.

4) Coconut shaved ice

Elliott Parrish

Here, Washington does its best Hawaii impression.

If the breakneck pace of life in the Federal City leaves you longing for a vacation, this dessert is the next best thing. (And at only $5 a cup, you’ll save quite a bit of money on plane tickets.)

Coconut has a reputation for being boring—in a box of chocolates, shredded coconut is no one’s first choice—but in this case, nothing could be further from the truth. I found the syrup to be far more sugary than plain coconut milk. Its unsubtle flavor was ideal for cutting through a mountain of ice.

For an even sweeter way to beat the heat, try the “Snowball”—a dish of shaved ice with a scoop of vanilla soft serve mixed in.

3) Falafel pita wrap

Elliott Parrish

A streetside staple in both New York and D.C., falafel wraps are ideal for eating on-the-go. There are few things better than a crispy ball of fried chickpeas tossed in iceberg lettuce and drizzled with tzatziki sauce.

But this version is a little unorthodox. Alongside the usual Greek yogurt-based tzatziki is a mustard dill tzatziki, dolloped atop the pita in equal proportion to add some extra tang.

Overall, the handheld is rich, slightly tart and more than a little messy. Word to the wise: bring your own napkins. The food trucks often run out.

2) Fried sweet plantains

Elliott Parrish

Plantains are a splendidly starchy member of the banana family. They’re best enjoyed lightly fried. And they taste even better on the National Mall as its 3,800 cherry trees begin to blossom in the sun.

The caramelization on each plantain is sticky but not charred. The flavor is buttery with a hint of brown sugar, but none is added here; this “cooking banana” is naturally sumptuous all on its own.

If you find yourself craving a snack while ogling the Tidal Basin’s blossoms this spring, I recommend a basket of these plantains. This is a great dish to share with friends.

1) Salted caramel bubble tea

Elliott Parrish

It doesn’t sound right at first: salt is for French fries and popcorn, not bubble tea! But take one sip of this salted caramel boba and everything will make sense.

Let’s start with the tapioca itself. The bubbles are a tad less chewy than your average boba but every bit as enticing. Their subtleness besets the stronger, sticky caramel flavor of the base.

This confectionary concoction sips like a frozen hot chocolate: frothy, milky and cool. The Atlantic sea salt isn’t overpowering. It’s just enough to amplify the drink's sweetness, like a saltwater whitecap outlining a wave in the ocean.

The next time you spot a row of vibrantly colored trucks gracing the street curb, don’t pass them by! An exciting and delicious outdoor food scene is waiting for you, parked just beyond your office doors.