It is safe to say that I have had a positive Reuben experience here at Colgate. Whether I am enjoying brunch at the diner, going out to dinner at Meir’s Creek, or eating at Frank Dining Hall, I have been able to get my hands on a delicious Reuben. Maybe you are a big Reuben fan like myself, or maybe you have never even heard of Reuben; regardless, I encourage you to try one of these restaurants and discover the Best Reuben Sandwiches in Madison County, New York. 

History of The Reuben Sandwich

A Reuben is a delicious sandwich made up of corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss, and Thousand Island dressing grilled on Rye bread. Legend has it that the very first Reuben sandwich was concocted during a poker game in Omaha, Nebraska, in the 1920s. As the story goes, Reuben Kulafofsky requested a sandwich with corned beef and sauerkraut, and Bernard Schimmel, a chef at the Blackstone hotel, put his own spin on the requested sandwich.

Schimmel drained the sauerkraut, mixed it with Thousand Island dressing, layered it with Swiss cheese and homemade corned beef on dark rye bread, then decided to grill the sandwich. Thus, creating the beloved Reuben. The story of the Reuben’s origins differs from source to source, but it wasn’t until 1956, when the Reuben won the National Sandwich Idea Contest, that the sandwich gained national popularity (source: https://www.eatthis.com/reuben-sandwich-origin/). 

Elizabeth Figge

The Reuben is widely available in many restaurants across the country, including Madison County, New York. The first Reuben I enjoyed while attending Colgate was at the Hamilton Eatery (https://hamiltoneatery.com/), a popular restaurant among many Colgate students. However, earlier this year, the Eatery discontinued making hot sandwiches, which included the Reuben. Occasionally, the Eatery will list the Reuben as one of their specials, but do not fret— there are still many delicious Reubens in Madison county! 

The Broad Street Diner

The Broad Street Diner is located just a short walk from the Eatery, and its menu boasts an exquisite Reuben. The Broad Street Diner is a wonderful spot to enjoy brunch; I like to come here on the weekends with my friends. The Reuben at the diner is your classic Reuben— corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing on rye— and it comes with fries and a pickle.

Elizabeth Figge
Elizabeth Figge

A classic Reuben is certainly enjoyable, but Meir’s Creek Brewing Co (https://www.meierscreekbrewing.com/). serves a brisket, Reuben. Located in Cazenovia (about a 20-minute drive from Colgate), Meir’s Creek Brewing Co. is a craft brewery and taproom that serves a wide variety of entrees, including pizza, salads, burgers, and of course, their brisket Rueben. I just recently tried their Reuben when I visited the taproom with friends. Though I was skeptical of the decision to use brisket instead of corned beef, I thoroughly enjoyed this sandwich! It gave the sandwich a richer flavor, and I personally enjoyed this variety. Don’t knock it till you try it! 

Elizabeth Figge

Searching For A Reuben On Colgate Campus?

It can be fun to dine out, but I have some good news for my fellow Colgate students: You can enjoy a delicious Reuben in Frank Dining Hall! While perusing in Frank, I often stumble upon Reubens served in the grill station. This is not an everyday occurrence, but my day is always made when I see a Reuben in Frank. And, the best part is, there is no limit on how many Reubens you can enjoy! You can load up your plate with five or six or even enjoy just half of a sandwich! 

Elizabeth Figge