The History:

Union Rec is the newest addition to the Union Joints family, a Michigan restaurant dynasty. Union Joints has been cooking up unique restaurants since 1995 with the goal of creating "grandma's cooking" no matter where grandma is from. Each restaurant has a unique menu and vibe but one thing in common: the iconic mac and cheese.

Owners Curt Catallo and Ann Stevenson love to repurpose old buildings - like Union Rec's previous history as a mill yard. Stevenson and her team handle the interior design, always having so much fun repurposing these unique spots. The interior design inspiration for Union Rec was camping and creating a lively atmosphere. They definitely did a great job accomplishing this! Throughout the restaurant, you will see unique fixtures that make this spot glow.

Catallo and Stevenson's goal for Union Rec was to create a place where people could unite and want to continue returning. They wanted a spot that students would want to take their parents and also come back to with friends after they graduate. In addition to the large restaurant, Union Rec houses a coffee shop that is open starting at 7 a.m. with artisanal coffee using their own roasted beans and delicious pastries. Recently, they started having an Ann Arbor "influencer" guest drink at the shop. Their last drink was a collab with DJ Array - Michigan Football's in-game DJ - who created a drink and performed at the restaurant. On gamedays, Union Rec has a tailgate brunch and outdoor food and drink trucks. You can spot unique Michigan-themed drinks that play on the Maize and Blue. There are so many ways to become engaged with the Union Rec community!

Lindsey Smith
Lindsey Smith

The Menu:

Union Rec's menu is inspired by delicious comfort food. Head chef Jeremy Griener seasonally switches the menu to feature new favorites from all cuisines. Their most recent additions include new Asian fusion items - Birria Beef Ramen, Korean Brisket Rice Bowl, Spicy Sichuan Noodles, and Korean BBQ Burger. In order to get a full understanding of their menu, we tried a bit of everything. The appetizers were an absolute favorite; you must try the queso, cauliflower bites, and cowboy caviar. You can't go wrong with any of the entrees. Don't leave without trying their award-winning mac and cheese or a taco dorado or champ style - stacked tortillas with cheese in between. Union Rec also has an extensive bar menu that includes Tin Can cocktails, a local Michigan brand. The cocktail menu leans on tequila and mezcals, especially in their many margarita options; the perfect pair to their delicious menu options. Make sure you don't leave without a smores brownie pot pie because that would be an actual crime!

Katerina Jonna
Katerina Jonna

Union Rec is the perfect spot to hang out with friends, take your parents to when they are in town, or even tailgate. They have everything you need for a delicious meal or even just a stop at their coffee shop!

Union Rec has quickly become one of my favorite eats on campus. It is a must-try for students and locals and I can't wait to be back soon!