For the average freshman, a good meal is hard to come by. With no car and no kitchen, resources are certainly lacking. But a solution exists right under our noses, and you don't need to call an Uber to get there. If you have been looking for restaurants within walking distance of your USC dorm, then this is for you. Welcome to the McCutchen House.

Situated opposite the President's House on the historic Horseshoe, McCutchen House is unassuming from the outside. Many students pass by it daily, thinking it is another dorm or outdated classroom building. However, the building is home to the USC School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, a division of the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management. At the McCutchen House, your meal will be prepared and served entirely by students, as it acts as a hands-on classroom for the HRSM college.

Gabrielle McCormick

The meal, which includes five courses for a mere $13.95, begins with the establishment's claim to fame: tomato pie. The personal sized pie is composed of a pastry pie dough, filled with a sweet tomatoey filling, and of course topped with cheese. This amuse-bouche is the perfect two-bite appetizer to welcome you to the McCutchen House and it is certainly famous for a reason.

Gabrielle McCormick

I next opted for the house salad over the soup of the day, which was tomato. McCutchen House offers a rotating menu, which often reflects the ingredients of the season. This salad featured mandarin oranges, which seemed to be a match made in heaven for the balsamic dressing. What outshined this course, however, were the warm dinner rolls which followed it. Nothing pairs better with a white tablecloth meal than a steaming basket of fresh rolls wrapped in a dark linen.

While my company opted for the crowd favorite, “The Jam” burger, I decided on the carnitas tacos. They arrived filled to the brim, with succulent pork and a drizzle of sriracha-cilantro crema. But what sealed the deal for me was the sprinkling of cotija, which provided just the bite that the tacos needed. Of course, I always appreciate the added texture of some crunchy radish slices, as well. The fried plantains which accompanied the tacos were fried to perfection, though would have been served well by an extra side of that heavenly crema.

Gabrielle McCormick

At this point in the meal, let’s just say that the belt was unbuckled. But you get what you pay for, and I had my eyes set on the chocolate walnut pie for my fifth and final course. Perfectly flaky crust. Decadent dark chocolate. Crisp walnuts. All of it in beautiful harmony with the dollop of homemade whipped cream which topped it off. If I can praise any single item off this menu, it must be this chocolate walnut pie.

Gabrielle McCormick

One thing is for certain and that is that this meal is a marathon and not a sprint. If you are looking for a bang for your buck, look no further than the heart of campus. For just fourteen dollars, you will leave more than satisfied. For those on a university meal plan, the McCutchen House also takes CarolinaCash. No need to hit up the parents for a little extra dough. The environment here is more than welcoming and these students are as passionate and excited to serve as I am to return!

Gabrielle McCormick