Located in downtown Berkeley, just across the street from the UC Berkeley campus, Gather boasts a diverse array of seasonally inspired, locally-sourced dishes. From fresh hauled seafood to meats and cheeses produced by local farms, nearly every ingredient is sourced within California. This dedication to local agriculture shines through their menu, where classic selections like black cod get a refresh with unexpected elements like mentsuyu broth and soba, offering a vibrant exploration of flavors. Enticed by their innovative selection, we had the opportunity to try the organic restaurant for dinner. 

Gather's unique atmosphere really shone through in its outdoor garden seating, akin to a local farmer’s market with wood paneling and greenery lining the walls. The sunset dining experience with overhead heating created a welcoming ambiance perfect for any occasion. 

Dinner

We ordered several items from their dinner menu: crispy cauliflower, roast organic chicken, grain bowl (gf, v), flank steak (gf) rainbow carrots (gf), house cured ham and zucchini pizza, and sautéed calamari. The menu also included other vegan and gluten free options such as the house cut French fries, acorn squash, and local lettuces.

Steven Huang

The cauliflower and carrots arrived first. The crispy cauliflower was a vegan delight, kissed with a tamari glaze that added a layer of culinary complexity, infusing each floret with a savory sweet umami flavor. The rainbow carrots were equally delicious; their natural sweetness paired perfectly with the earthy butter vinaigrette. For those seeking an alternative to traditional vegetable recipes, these dishes were must tries.

Steven Huang

Gather prides themselves on dishes that keep customers coming back. I'll certainly be coming back for the house cured ham and zucchini pizza. The thin, almost buttery crust provided a flavorful foundation that made it a standalone treat in its own right. Meanwhile, the curated interplay of cheese, leek cream, spinach and ham created a  nuanced flavor profile.

Steven Huang

The perfectly cooked flank steak was a symphony of flavors. The seared exterior captured the juices, providing a satisfying crisp with each bite, while the interior was tender and well-seasoned. The grana padano also brought a subtle nuttiness that enhanced each bite.

Steven Huang

The roast organic chicken was a juicy, flavorful journey, with spices that infused the chicken with a rich taste. The vegetable puree was a creamy indulgence that served as a luxurious backdrop for the chicken.

Steven Huang

The gluten free and vegan grain bowl presented a medley of organic ingredients: quinoa, wild rice, roasted butternut, apples, cabbage, grapefruit chermoula and pistachio. This vibrant bowl featured a unique juxtaposition of tart grain flavors and fruity notes, creating a harmonious dance on the palate. 

Good customer service is important for any restaurant to thrive.  The service at Gather was exemplary.  We experienced minimal wait times for our food and the attentive servers added a welcoming touch to the dining experience. 

So if you crave creative, seasonal Californian fare in a vibrant setting for dinner or lunch,  Gather is a Berkeley must-try.