I had the incredible opportunity to dine at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, a few times in New York, and I wanted to share my first-ever, unbiased experience if it should inspire anyone to do the same. The first aspect that stood out to me was how the world-famous Bemelmans Bar completely foiled the elegant restaurant: There’s a little something for everyone here if you have a little money to spend. The moment you walk in, you’re met with the loud gasp of laughter and music from Bemelmans, but if you walk a little further, it’s not hoity-toity stuffy elegance, but rather a quiet breath of fresh air and peace at the Dowling restaurant. There’s lively yet quiet jazz music playing in the background, and the service is absolutely incredible.

Julia Seebach

Appetizers

We started with the Hamachi, which consisted of bergamot and white harissa with accents of peppadew and cucumber, as well as the Tuna Tartare, which was topped with avocado, lemon cream, and taro root chips. Both fish were absolutely delectable – they melted on my tongue, and the pairings worked so beautifully.

Julia Seebach
Julia Seebach

Entrees

As for our entrees, I had the table-side Steak Diane, which really blew me away. As a first-generation German/Taiwanese person, my family and I go back to visit my dad’s side in southern Germany every summer. My hometown of Pirmasens, Germany, is a few hours away from what my family calls a “sister town” (even though they’re hours apart) because a large portion of my family also resides in Alsace, France. The food in southern France is very niche; the flavors exclusive to that region of the world, the flavors only describable as light, yet exquisite. Soft-spoken, yet a magical symphony of flavors. My first thought upon my first taste of this dish took me back to those moments in Alsace when all my family was together. The flavors are so reminiscent of southern France and family; the savory sauce it’s bathed in absolutely enriches the experience of the dish.

Julia Seebach

Dessert

To conclude our meal at The Carlyle, I had a Bananas Foster while my dad had a raspberry soufflé. The height of the soufflé was definitely appreciable. It was fluffy and airy with nice compliments of sweet condensed milk and chocolate ice cream. My Bananas Foster warmed me up from the inside out from the harsh winter night, and the rum raisin ice cream melted with the heat of the caramelized bananas.

Julia Seebach
Julia Seebach

All in all, The Carlyle is a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience. If you have the means, I strongly encourage you to consider it.