Chef Bal Arneson treated the student body at American University to her renowned culinary skills for one fleeting but memorable day.

On Tuesday, April 9th, Chef Bal held a "meet and greet" event on campus where she gave away 25 signed cookbooks. She then took the dining hall by storm.

"The Cooking Goddess" served several of her specialty dishes at TDR for lunch and dinner. It was some of the best food that AU dining patrons have tasted in a long time.

Cheers to the Chef

In place of the usual orange juice at TDR on Tuesday, Arneson brought two new beverages for students to enjoy: iced chai and mint & cardamon lemonade.

The chai was less sweet than the Tazo concentrate most Americans drink, but rich with cloves and cinnamon. The lemonade was pleasantly tart with a kick from the added spices. It was a gorgeous day for the chef's visit, with temperatures approaching 80 degrees outside, and this much-needed refreshment hit the spot.

Curry, Chickpeas and Chutney

For lunch, I tried Arneson's coconut chickpea bowl, which used another eclectic mix of spices: turmeric, cumin, fennel, mint and paprika. I savored it alongside the chef's famous cilantro coconut chutney and basmati rice. It was a remarkable ensemble of Indian flavors of which any chef would be proud.

Also on the menu: a quinoa and chickpea wrap. The dish included a colorful array of diced beets and bell peppers. A coconut milk, lemon and ginger dressing brought out the savory grain of the quinoa. Even the sides accompanying this entree were upgraded: Arneson's spiced potato wedges replaced TDR's standard French fries.

Superb Salom

I have dined at TDR hundreds of times over the past three years. Therefore, I can say with certainty Arneson's salmon with cashew tomato sauce was easily one of the greatest dishes the institution has ever produced.

The fillet itself was prepared perfectly--not too dry or too rare. The tomato sauce recipe Arneson used was mercifully mild and let the iron-rich salmon flavor shine through. Served over more of her basmati rice, I imagine this dish performing well on a competitive cooking show.

AU has welcomed two Food Network celebrity chefs over as many years: Jet Tila and Bal Arneson. Arneson has set the bar high for any other culinary maestros who might visit campus in the future.