Sometimes it can be hard to find minority owned businesses in a small town like Athens. While Athens may not have as many Latine food spots as Texas or California does, it still holds its own and has many secret gems for trying new food. Celebrate and acknowledge the histories, cultures, and contributions of those with Latine heritage by visiting these Latino-owned restaurants in Athens. 

Punta Cana Latin Grill

Punta Cana Latin Grill is a Dominican based restaurant located in downtown Athens. Picky eaters and those on a budget are more than welcome to dine here as there are a variety of foods and prices. In addition to great food, this grill also hosts parties and dance nights.

$$

4.6/5 stars on Google

Cali n Titos

If you’re discussing staples in Athens and you miss Cali n Titos, you’ve messed up along the way. It’s no surprise that Cali n Titos made this list. The design of the Lumpkin location is immaculate and gives you a feel of authentic latin design, accompanied by the authentic latin flavor. They know their audience as the prices are to die for.

$

4.6/5 stars on Google

Sr. Sol

Looking for an authentic Mexican experience of missing Mexico? Come to Sr. Sol. One of Sr. Sol’s objective is to be an authentic Mexican restaurant in the Athens community. I don’t think they’ve missed the mark. Walking into Sr. Sol, one can hear the sound of the amazing Mariachi band and look at the beautiful workers dressed in Mexican garments. The food on their comprehensive 5 menus ain’t too bad either.

$

4.3/5 stars on Google

Taqueria del Sol

If you want good food that you can have both inside and outside of Athens, Taqueria Del Sol may be the place for you. Featured in NBC News, Southern Living, and Atlanta Magazine, Taqueria Del Sol has solidified its place as a great Latin based restaurant.

$-$$

4.6/5 stars on Google

Agua Linda

Agua Linda, also an authentic Mexican restaurant, is family owned. They have two locations in Athens and have just recently opened up a food truck, serving up the Mexican street food that we all know and love. Their menu is full of popular Mexican staples for amazing prices.

$

4.3/5 stars of Google

Taqueria Juaritos

Taqueria Juaritos gives amazing prices for amazing food. The place is reminiscent of a typical neighborhood bodega with prices that are hard to beat. Try out this Athens hidden gem and you won’t be disappointed.

$

4.6/5 stars on Google

Tlaloc

Tlaloc is also an authentic Mexican restaurant with a comprehensive menu great for picky eaters. With a menu 10 pages long, there’s no doubt everyone will find something they love. Served hot and fresh, this place’s food will be sure to give you a good shock.

$

4.5/5 stars

El Barrio

El Barrio is a great place to go on a game day. It’s a small place on Milledge specializing in tacos and their other El Barrio signature dishes. They give an amazing 10% discount to students and faculty Tuesday – Saturday 11:30 to 2pm.

$$

4.1/5 stars on Google

Like Latin America, the Latino food spots in Athens are diverse. I recommend trying out all of them and seeing what’s right for you, not just food wise, but also experience wise. Support the latino community and check out these food places!