Spoon University Logo
tjbestredwine
tjbestredwine
Reviews

The 8 Best (& Worst) Red Wines From Trader Joe’s

There’s nothing better than to enjoy a dinner with friends, pasta, and red wine, but as a college student, it is tough to find affordable and good quality wine. Fortunately, Trader Joe’s offers a solution with a decently-sized selection of quality wine, and cheap prices — for reference the most expensive wine I bought was $10.99.

I am a wine newbie. As a recent legal drinker, I have only just begun my wine journey. I have tasted whites, reds, rosé, and more. But I have always found that I prefer the reds, and I will die on the hill saying that red wine is better than white. Before entering Trader Joe’s, I did a bit of research on TikTok, wine blogs, Vivino, and Instagram to help me make my selection. Some of the wines listed below were chosen based on recommendations from these sites. Others were chosen for the cheap price or pretty packaging, and some were chosen just for the fun of it. At home, I put together a tasting where I consulted with my two best friends and my sister (two of which prefer red while one prefers rose). As we sipped and discussed, we came to a collective ranking of each wine. Here are the best (and not so great) red wines from Trader Joe’s.

Trader Joe’s Petit Reserve Cabernet Franc Paso Robles 2021, $7.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

The flavors of this wine are black cherries, plums, mocha, and other spices. Coming from California, this dark red, has a full body and lots of acidity.

Score: 1/10

Disgusting is the first word that comes to mind. This cabernet franc was one of the worst things I have ever put into my mouth. Although there are many flavors listed on the bottle of this wine, the only flavor I could taste was acidity. Listed at $7.99, this dark ruby red wine is not worth the price. I repeat, do not buy unless you love acidity and the smell of vinegar.

Fior di Vino Chianti Classico Riserva 2020, $7.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

This dark red wine has flavors of cherries, plums, cherries, and earthly spices. Fostered in Chianti, Italy, this wine also has a balanced acidity.

Score: 4/10

Another cute packaged wine with orange coloring and a small picture of a winery, this red wine is distinctly bitter. I know that sweet isn’t necessarily associated with red wine, but I personally am not a fan of the bitter and acidic flavors of this wine. I would also add that this wine isn’t anything special. I didn’t think it tasted all that different from Charles Shaw’s cabernet sauvignon, but at $3.99, the cabernet sauvignon is way cheaper than the Chianti Classico Riserva’s price at $7.99. If you do decide to buy this wine, I recommend pairing it with food like pasta. 

Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon 2022, $3.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Viking Liquor

From the region of California, this cabernet sauvignon has hints of vanilla, cherries, and plums. It is described as smooth with little acidity.

Score: 6/10

The cheapest wine you can find, commonly known as the “two buck chuck” (although today, it’s closer to $4), tastes like your basic red. I took a sip and thought it was not bad, but not great. Just your run-of-the-mill smooth red wine. No flavor stood out in crazy lengths; however, there is something comforting about trying a wine and discovering it tastes exactly like you thought it would in your head. 

Belhara Estate Malbec Single Vineyard 2021, $8.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

With grapes from the Uco Valley, an area known for producing great wine, specifically malbecs, this wine had flavors of black cherries, plums, vanilla, blackberries, and dark chocolate.

Score: 6/10

This is the perfect dinner wine. This wine is less on the sweeter side, but in my opinion, this makes it an ideal food wine. This wine pairs amazingly with a steak, a pizza, or whatever leftovers you have in the fridge. The acidity in this wine isn’t over the top and instead acts as a nice body of the wine. At $8.99, this wine is definitely worth it. 

Porta 6 Tinto, $4.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Vivino

This red blend, originating in Lisboa, Portugal, has flavors of red fruits and other berries.

Score: 6/10

The Porta 6 Tinto is known as an easy-drinking wine that is perfect for beginners. This wine is a Portuguese red blend that is smooth with a touch of acidity. I am not the biggest fan of acidity, but with this wine, I didn’t mind. This wine is very light and easy to drink. As Lucia Palm, a sommelier and wine influencer, said, “I feel like this is one of those red wines that would pretty much please anyone.”  

Epicuro Nero D’avola 2022, $5.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Wijnkring

This bright red wine with flavors of berries and spices comes from Sicily, Italy. It is known to pair perfectly with red meat.

Score: 7/10

Recommended by Palm, this wine has a bright coloring and flavors of berries and spices. This wine is described as a “classic example with its dark fruits and smooth tannins” by Palm. At $5.99, I would agree with Palm that this wine is definitely worth a try and full of flavor.

Le Grotte Lambrusco Reggiano, $5.49

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Vivino

Originating from Emilia Romagna, a town known for some of the best cuisine in Italy, this sparkling red wine has berry flavors including cherries and strawberries.

Score: 9/10

This wine was one of my favorites. I’ll admit that I have a sweet tooth, so if sweet wine isn’t your thing, this wine probably isn’t for you. The sparkling factor added a fun delicious twist that only made me further enjoy the wine. Palm describes its flavor as “a kiss of sweetness.” At $5.49, this wine is a must-buy, especially if you’re craving something sweet. 

Ratified & Repealed California Red Wine 2019, $10.99

Red Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

This Californian wine is a red blend, which means that it is a mix of Syrah, Petit Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and other red wines.

Score: 9/10

I must confess. I bought this wine purely because I thought the packaging looked cool. A city skyscraper and flashing lights made this wine irresistible. The red blend might be my new favorite type of wine. I’ll admit it. I have a sweet tone, and the sweetness and fruitiness of this wine were incredible. This California red wine was slightly acidic and as smooth as can be. The wine didn’t have a crazy aftertaste either. If you are beginning your wine journey, I would recommend you try this wine. 

Camryn Lehr is an intern who is part of the National Writers Program at Spoon University. She pitches article ideas and writes stories under the guidance of her executive editor. Camryn is an undergraduate student at Emerson College, and her major is Writing, Literature, and Publishing. Camryn is part of a publishing program at her college that will allow her to take graduate classes during her senior year. After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, she will take one additional year of graduate classes and then graduate with her master’s degree. At Emerson College, Camryn is part of many student organizations, including Undergraduate Students for Publishing, where she works as a guest writer for their online website. Camryn is also editor in chief of an Emerson magazine that publishes student short stories and poetry known as Concrete Literary Magazine. In addition, Camryn has been published in Page Turner Magazine. In her free time, Camryn's favorite activity is seeing live music with her friends. She also loves to take her dog for hikes in the woods and watch various comedy shows like The Office, Friends, and Abbot Elementary. She also loves to read dystopian, thriller, and romance novels, but her true passion in life is writing.