Spoon University Logo
Reviews

Here’s Which Instant Coffees You Need To Stock Your Dorm With This Semester

Everyone knows that caffeine is a college student’s best friend. While I love a good local cafe, they’re not always the most convenient, wallet friendly-option. Whether it be for the days that you’re running late to your 9 a.m. class or for dorms where coffee makers are prohibited, instant coffee is incredibly practical –– but it gets a bad rap. I’m a firm believer that you don’t need to break the bank for quality taste, and the instant coffees on this list are perfect examples.

There are generally two ways to produce instant coffee: spray drying and freeze-drying. Spray drying is when liquid coffee is sprayed in an extremely hot chamber. By the time the mist reaches the bottom, the coffee solidifies into a fine powder. Freeze-drying is the exact opposite. Coffee concentrate is frozen at extremely low temperatures, which leaves behind a powder that can later be rehydrated for consumption. 

In order to include coffee lovers of each and every preference, there are five different blends on the list: iced, medium roast, dark roast, blonde roast, and decaf. As a self proclaimed coffee sommelier, I evaluated a slew of instant coffees on the qualities that I find most important: convenience, smell, and, most importantly, taste. Creamer and sugar can hide any bad coffee, so each contender was prepared according to the directions on the package and sampled black. Keep in mind that I’m by no means an expert, but I’ve had a cappuccino or two in my day.

Iced Blends

Best: Dunkin’ Caramel Cold Powdered Coffee

The Dunkin’ Cold Powdered blends come in single serve packets, so no need for any measuring spoons here! Mix one packet with ten ounces of water for the perfect caffeinated pick-me-up. Even more convenient, Dunkin’ instant coffee is available at most major grocery stores and ranges from a six pack to bulk boxes, starting at $5.49. The coffee itself is sweet enough that additional sugar and/or creamer isn’t necessary.

Nescafe Ice Roast 

Nescafe’s Ice Roast blend is also a delicious option. Unlike the Dunkin’ mix, you need to measure one teaspoon of instant per six ounces of water. However, one canister of Nescafe coffee makes about 85 cups of coffee –– significantly more than Dunkin’s mere standard six servings. Nescafe is also available at most major grocery stores, starting at $6.68. The only downfall with this blend is that it’s less potent than some of the others on the list. For those who love a strong coffee, it may be beneficial to increase the ratio of instant coffee to water.

Dunkin Classic Cold Powdered Coffee

The Classic Cold Powdered has the same packaging and flavor as its forerunner –– just minus the caramel. It is also available online and in most major grocery stores, and customers can buy packets in bulk. 

Medium Roast

Best: Mount Hagen Fairtrade Instant Coffee

The chunkier freeze-dried blends generally stood out as the best in this ranking, and Mount Hagen’s Fairtrade Instant Coffee is the perfect example. You’ll likely come across the coffee blend in jars at most grocery stores, although there are single-serve packets available in bulk on Amazon. Depending on your desired strength, mix one to two tablespoons of instant coffee per cup of hot water. Mount Hagen beats out many of its competitors because it avoids the bitter and burnt reputation that instant coffee often has. Out of those on the list, this blend smelled and tasted the most like a freshly brewed cup of coffee. Bear in mind that thorough stirring is key to a good instant coffee. This is especially true for the chunky freeze-dried blends like Mount Hagen’s.

Waka Medium Roast Instant Coffee

Waka is yet another delicious freeze-dried option. Like Mount Hagen’s instant coffee, Waka’s medium roast is flavorful without any unwanted acidity, and the notes of citrus are easy to pick up. The only drawback is that Waka’s coffees and teas is primarily available through the brand’s website, although it will be launching in over 200 west coast Walmart locations this month. Like Mount Hagen, Waka’s instant coffees are on the grainier side, so be sure the powder is fully dissolved before enjoying.

Starbucks Via Instant “Pike Place” Roast

Starbucks sells its Pike Place Roast in every form from whole beans to coffee grounds, and the instant coffee version is just as good. Like some of the other coffees, this blend comes in both pre-portioned packets and in canisters. Mix one packet with eight ounces of hot water and enjoy. While this instant coffee is more bitter than some may like, Starbucks instant coffees earn some brownie points because they’re so widely accessible. 

Dark Roast

Best: Nescafe Gold Espresso Intense

Nescafe’s Gold Espresso Intense blend is fairly mild for a dark roast, but is still rich with flavor. Like its iced predecessor, Nescafe’s dark roast comes in a jar, with this canister serving up to 50 cups. For this version, mix one teaspoon of instant coffee with either two or six ounces of hot water, depending on whether you want an espresso or an americano. Like the iced coffee blend, the Gold Espresso Intense is available at most grocery stores.

Waka Dark Roast 

Like its other flavors, Waka’s dark roast is rich and smooth. The blend has notes of caramel, which compliments the intensity of the roast well. Interestingly, the coffee has a different mouthfeel than some of the other contenders and causes some astringency, which lends to a richer tasting experience. This blend is also available in single-serve packets and in a larger bag.

Starbucks VIA Instant Italian Roast 

Like some of the other Starbucks blends, the Italian Roast is sold in canisters and in boxes of single-serve packets at major grocery stores. The blend has notes of marshmallow and dark chocolate that give the dark roast a sweeter undertone. Mix one packet with eight ounces of hot water and enjoy.

Blonde Roast

Best: Waka Light Roast 

Waka’s right roast instant coffee was my absolute favorite out of all the blends I sampled. The notes of brown sugar make this roast feel like something straight out of a cafe. To make a cup, mix up to two teaspoons of instant coffee with eight to 10 ounces of water, depending on your desired strength. This is certainly the roast for those who don’t necessarily love the taste of coffee but are in dire need of a caffeine boost.

Nescafe Gold Espresso Blonde

Nescafe’s Gold Espresso Blonde blend is light and smooth — everything you wish for in a blonde roast. Like the dark and iced varieties, the blonde roast also comes in a jar and yields approximately 50 cups of coffee. The blonde roast is priced similarly to the intense roast, starting at $6.68.

Starbucks Premium Instant Blonde Roast

Starbucks’ Premium Instant Blonde Roast has the most subtle coffee flavor of the light roasts on the list. The blend follows similar instructions to the other Starbucks instant coffees on the list and are priced similarly, starting around $8.49.

Decaf

Best: Waka Medium Roast Decaf

Waka’s decaf blend is just as delicious as the caffeinated version. Like the classic medium roast, the decaf instant coffee also has notes of citrus and is available in both single-serve packets and larger bags.

Emma a is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.