Spoon University Logo

From hamburgers to racks of ribs, summer barbecues are practically packed with animal-based foods — but they don’t have to be. I tried as many plant-based hot dogs as I could get my hands on to help find the perfect vegan sausage link. In order to determine who truly has the best dog, I first tried every brand plain with nothing on it and then in a bun with my favorite condiments. Because I’m a hot dog purist, all contenders were grilled, not boiled. The various hot dogs were evaluated on texture, looks, and (most importantly) overall taste. Here are the best plant-based hot dogs based on how much they taste like the real thing.

1. Oscar Mayer NotSausage, Italian Style

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 9.58.10 PM
Photo via Oscar Mayer

The brat style NotSausage is incredible (see next faux dog), and somehow Oscar Mayer’s Italian style links manage to top it. The same juicy texture of the brats are leveled up with the Italian style seasoning; the perfect amount of salt and spice seamlessly brings these hot dogs together. Each pack come with four links. Each serving contains 11 grams of protein. 

2. Oscar Mayer NotSausage, Bratwurst Style

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 9.59.05 PM
Photo via Oscar Mayer

These Oscar Mayer’s brats have a looser fill and a casing that gives them a distinct snap. Additionally, the brat style links are on the greasier side which works in their favor, keeping them away from the spongy texture that hinders some of the other brands. Packs contain four links, each with 12 grams of protein.  

3. MorningStar Farms Veggie Dogs

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 10.11.02 PM
Photo via MorningStar Farms

MorningStar’s veggie hot dogs are yet another close match to traditional dogs texturally. On the grill, they develop a nice char that makes them feel all the more real. Though the flavor is great, these hot dogs are unique in that they are on the sweeter side. Each surviving contains nine grams of protein. Packs come with six links each and start at $5.31.

4. Better Balance Plant Based Jumbo Hot Dogs

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 10.04.34 PM
Photo via Better Balance

Like their Classic counterparts (see #5), the Better Balance Jumbo Hot Dogs are absolutely delicious. They beat the Classic option purely on texture. The thicker, longer sausage makes for a better bite and fits the bun better overall. The Jumbo packs come with only two links and retail around $4.69 per pack. Like the Classic version, the Jumbo hot dogs are also gluten and soy free, but contain more than double the protein with seven grams per serving.

5. Better Balance Classic

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 10.09.41 PM
Photo via Better Balance

Unlike some of the other brands, Better Balance sources its hot dogs from pea protein. The Classic links come in packs of five and retail at $3.49, making them one of the more affordable plant-based options. Better Balance is also an allergy friendly option, with hot dogs that are soy and gluten free. Each serving contains only three grams of protein. 

6. Oscar Mayer Plant-Based NotHotDogs (Bun Length)

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 10.02.39 PM
Photo via Oscar Mayer

Oscar Mayer has a variety of vegan options, and the bun length NotHotDog is a great plant-based twist on the classic hot dog. Oscar Mayer replicates the colors of a standard hot dog well. Even more impressively, the texture of the NotHotDogs are just firm enough to feel like real meat without becoming rubbery. The hot dogs even browned perfectly on the grill. Packs come with four sausages each and contain 10 grams of protein per serving. 

7. Impossible Beef Hot Dog

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 9.57.03 PM
Photo via Impossible

While other brands tend to overdo the oranges and reds, Impossible emulates the hot dog coloring extremely well. The heavy smokey flavor makes these beef hot dogs stand out on the list. Packs come with six hot dogs and each serving contains 12 grams of protein. Impossible hot dogs retail at $7.99 and are arguably easiest in the line up to find, with products at major grocery chains including Target and Walmart. 

8. Upton’s Natural Updog

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 10.14.39 PM
Photo via Upton’s

Updog hot dogs come in packs of four and retail at $6.49. The best way to describe them is black bean burger adjacent — delicious, but not necessarily the spitting image of its animal-based counterpart. Upton’s Natural makes a softer link with visible casing (which is completely vegan and made from algae), akin to the texture of Italian sausage. Updogs also pack a whopping 19 grams of protein into each serving.

Honorary Mention: MorningStar Farms Veggie Corn Dogs

Screen Shot 2024 07 31 at 9.49.32 PM
Photo via MorningStar Farms

While corn dogs technically fall under the hot dog umbrella, the batter makes them too tough of a competitor, so they deserve to be in their own heat. MorningStar Farms has mastered the science of frozen corn dogs, meat and plant based. The crispy bread coating keeps the hot dogs perfectly juicy in the oven and doesn’t become too dry, making these a delicious yet easy plant-based meal option. Boxes come with four corn dogs each and start at $4.58. Each serving also has six grams of protein.

Emma a is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.