As a college student, cafes are so versatile— they’re the perfect places to catch up on homework or study, meet with friends over a cup of coffee and small bites, and take aesthetic pictures for Instagram. With midterm season at its peak, now is the best time to explore new Berkeley cafes to have productive work sessions and make studying more fun!

SoDoI Coffee Tasting House

Rohan Vuppala

Located Near Unit 3, SoDoI Coffee Tasting House has ambient lighting, bright murals, and surf- themed decor scattered throughout the cafe. It’s the perfect place to study if you live in Southside or have large blocks of time between classes since it's conveniently located just five minutes from campus. There are ample seating options, ranging from bar style stools and small tables to large communal tables in the center of the cafe. There are also outlets all over SoDoI, free wifi, and a calming background playlist. I’d recommend getting the Red Velvet Latte if you visit— the latte has a strong espresso flavor with cocoa and vanilla undertones and a silky mouthfeel. It’s a bit thicker than a regular latte, making it feel like a mix between a drink and dessert!

Rohan Vuppala

1951 Coffee Company

Rohan Vuppala

Just across from SoDoI is 1951 Coffee Company, a cafe with modern, wooden decor and ample seating space. 1951 offers free WiFi and there are plenty of outlets around the space. However, this cafe is best for morning study sessions since it closes at 3 pm on weekends and 5 pm on weekdays. I’d recommend trying their matcha latte: it’s not too sweet, and the earthy undertones of the matcha really come through in the drink. 1951 also sells mochi pastries from Third Culture Bakery, which are must-tries to pair with the matcha latte. My personal favorite is the ube mochi muffin. It’s rich, dense, and slightly chewy with a sweet, nutty, vanilla flavor profile.

Rohan Vuppala

#SpoonTip: Sit outside in their patio style seating on a sunny day for a bright, productive study sesh!

Mind Coffee

Rohan Vuppala

For those who live in Northside or have classes in the engineering buildings, a must-try is Mind Coffee. It has a minimalist vibe, with a beige color palette and unique furniture and decor. However, it is on the smaller side: there are only two tables that have outlets suited for studying, while the other tables are low-rise and more suitable for taking pictures or catching up with friends. I’d recommend getting there early to snag a good seat if you’re planning on getting in a study session. Once you’re there, a favorite item is the iced hojicha einspanner. An einspanner is a drink with a “cream top”, which is a super fluffy whipped cream similar to a cold foam from Starbucks! It adds a creamy element to the drink and makes it so much richer. Hojicha is my personal favorite; it’s matcha’s roasted alternative and has a more mellow, earthy, and addictive flavor. It’s not bitter at all either. If you’re not into matcha’s more grassy, vegetal flavor, hojicha’s sweeter taste is a great alternative!

Rohan Vuppala

#SpoonTip: Order from the register instead of the kiosk to get the option to dine-in; you’ll get your drink in an aesthetic glass!

Blue Bottle Coffee

Rohan Vuppala

For those who live downtown or frequent Li Ka Shing or Rausser, Blue Bottle Coffee is an aesthetic cafe with some of the best coffee in the area. The interior of Blue Bottle is filled with wooden, minimalistic accents, and Blue Bottle’s iconic logo. I’d recommend trying their Vietnamese iced coffee. It has a bold, rich coffee flavor that’s slightly mellowed out by sweetened condensed milk. I’d also recommend trying their avocado toast to pair with! While there’s plenty of seating, Blue Bottle doesn’t provide outlets— I’d suggest bringing work that you don’t need to use technology for—like taking notes—or bringing a fully charged laptop. The seats face wall-to-ceiling windows with lots of natural light, so the environment is a good mood booster, too! Since there’s so much natural light, it’s also a great place to get cute Instagram pictures.

Rohan Vuppala

Asha Tea House

Rohan Vuppala

Another place downtown, Asha Tea House, is the place to visit if you want super high-quality teas. The matcha here is amazing— a strong matcha flavor comes through the drinks without being too bitter. My personal favorite is their iced matcha with seasonal fruit puree. The fruit purees add a sweet, fruity flavor that pairs well with the grassiness of matcha. They make for unique flavor pairings too, like Asian pear or concord grape. I usually get the mango matcha, which has a tropical, sweet, flavor that compliments matcha well. Besides serving amazing tea, they have a variety of seating options, outlets throughout, and free WiFi as well.

Rohan Vuppala

#SpoonTip: Add boba into your matcha for an elevated matcha bubble tea experience.

My Ratings!

It’s impossible to rank these cafes, but all of them have a specialty or key feature. SoDoI has the most unique drinks, featuring flavors like red velvet, french toast, and chocolate-covered strawberries. 1951 has to be the best study spot on the list, having both with free WiFi and outlets, a good study ambiance, and a walkable location close to both campus and housing in Southside. Mind Coffee is the most aesthetically pleasing cafe, perfect for those looking to take Instagram pictures! Blue Bottle is a great blend between study space and aesthetics, best for people who want to romanticize their studying. Finally, for those who are tea connoisseurs, Asha Tea House has the best matcha and teas. No matter what you’re looking for, there will be a fitting cafe that Berkeley has to offer.