Spoon University Logo
fastfoodmealdeals 1?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp
fastfoodmealdeals 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Taco John, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Starbucks
Reviews

All The Fast Food Meal Deals, Ranked

In this economy, finding cheap, quick meals is like an Olympic sport. It seems like any time you leave your house to go eat, you can’t get a decent amount of food without spending $20, $30, or $40. So, it makes sense that fast food meal deals, a fancy word for a cheaper combo meal from a fast food restaurant, are so popular. They are fast, cheap, and great for any time. Chains like McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Jack in the Box, Starbucks, Burger King, Taco John’s, and Taco Bell all have some kind of meal deal on their menu. Costs are high and income isn’t matching it so these chains are trying to allow customers a cheaper option with more food. They’re also trying to bring people back into the restaurant or drive-thru while our world is moving further away from in-person shopping.

But are any of them worth the savings? I tried most of these deals myself to try to determine which deals are actually worth it and which ones you can skip. Ranking these options from best to worst, I looked at how many food items you get, what the portion sizes are, cost, savings, and the various options offered.

1. Taco Bell, $7 Luxe Cravings Box

What’s included: a medium fountain drink, Beefy 5-layer Burrito, Double Stacked Taco, tortilla chips with cheese, and a Chalupa Supreme

I can’t lie, I’m definitely a Taco Bell girl through and through, but the Cravings Box is delicious. This meal deal is the best offer. The Luxe Cravings Box for $7 includes a medium fountain drink, a Beefy 5-Layer Burrito, Double Stacked Taco, tortilla chips with nacho cheese, and a Chalupa Supreme, which you can customize fully. You save over $7 with this deal with all the items separate being $14.26. The Build Your Own Cravings Box, which you can only get through the app for $6.49, includes a specialty item like the Crunchwrap Supreme or the Chalupa Supreme and a classic item like a Crunchy Taco, Soft Taco, or Beefy 5-Layer Burrito, as well as a medium drink. This deal is more expensive than some of the other ones, but it offers more food and bigger portions. This box always fills me up, and I usually don’t even end up finishing all my food. It also helps that my favorite menu item, the beefy 5-layer burrito, is offered in both types of cravings boxes.

2. Wendy’s, $5 Biggie Bag

What’s Included: your choice of a Bacon Double Stack, Crispy Chicken BLT, Crispy Chicken, Double Stack or a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, plus a four-piece nugget, small fries, and small drink (plus a free frosty if you order through the app).

Wendy’s value meal comes second because the chain offers a free frosty with each meal deal ordered through the app. I mean who doesn’t want a sweet treat after eating delicious food? Each Biggie Bag, priced at $5, comes with your choice of Bacon Double Stack, Crispy Chicken BLT, Crispy Chicken, Double Stack, or a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, as well as a four-piece nugget, small fries, and a small drink. This saves you anywhere between $8 and $10, depending on your customizations. This bag has been around since 2019 and only recently had more competition. I remember getting these bags on late Wednesday nights after church, and it was so worth it for our family, as we were able to share the portions. I have seven siblings and we were able to share when ordering these bags since they come with a good amount of food.

3. McDonald’s, $5 value meal

What’s Included: your choice of a McDouble cheeseburger, McChicken, or a Hot n Spicy McChicken, plus a small fry, four-piece McNugget, and small soft drink.

A McDonald’s value meal is definitely worth it. The $5 meal includes your choice of a McDouble, a McChicken, or a Hot n Spicy McChicken, a small fry, a four-piece McNugget, and a small soft drink. This deal saves you at least $3 every time, depending on what options you choose. The amount of food you get with this meal deal is perfect to fill you up. It’s also nice if you’re like me and don’t know what to choose. As I get older, I find myself getting something different every time just because something I haven’t had in forever sounds good. This deal offers an array of delicious options that satisfy all my cravings. It’s also a cheap and easy option for lunch while working which I love.

4. Starbucks Pairing Menu, $5 to $6

What’s Included: A tall hot or iced coffee or tea and a butter croissant or a tall hot or iced coffee or tea and a breakfast sandwich.

The Starbucks pairing menu is perfect for coffee lovers. The biggest downfall is that the menu includes a tall drink, not a venti. I know it’s not that serious, but ya girl loves her ventis. The pairing menu offers a tall iced or hot coffee or tea paired with a butter croissant starting at $5 and a tall iced or hot coffee or tea paired with a breakfast sandwich starting at $6. If you are a Starbucks regular, you know prices are high but the drinks are so good. The pairing menu cuts $2 or more off every order and is automatically applied at checkout. My favorite pairing is either a Hot Honey Citrus Mint Tea or a Mango Dragon Fruit Lemonade Refresher with a Bacon, Gouda, and Egg Sandwich. It’s a great addition to my mornings before work and the savings add up.

5. Taco John’s, $5 Meal Steal

What’s Included: a bean burrito, a small fountain drink, Jr. Potato Oles (tater tots), and a crispy beef taco.

I actually do not live by a Taco John’s and I’ve never tried it before. The $5 Meal Steal includes a Bean Burrito, a small fountain drink, Jr. Potato Oles, and a Crispy Beef Taco. Saving every customer only a couple of dollars, but is it worth it? The amount of food you receive is decent, but most people don’t think the options offered are the best of Taco John’s. These options are not interchangeable but you are able to customize them. In a Reddit thread, one fan wrote, “I love Taco Johns, but this isn’t a great deal. Make the Potato Oles a small size instead of junior at least. I’ll stick with the $2 cheesy potato tacos with Oles in them.”

6. Burger King, $5 Your Way Meal

What’s Included: your choice of a Whopper Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger or Chicken Jr., plus fries, a soft drink, and a four-piece nuggets.

Burger King’s Your Way Meal deal is very similar to McDonald’s and Wendy’s offerings. It has your choice of a Whopper Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger or Chicken Jr. plus value (mini) fries, a four-piece chicken nugget, and a value soft drink. BK re-released its value meal in June, as the meal deals started trending. To be honest, I am not the biggest Burger King fan. It is very similar to some of the other meal deals but it is my least favorite of the $5 deals. It is a good amount of food for the price with decent options but is very similar to the normal total price for all of these items, saving maybe a dollar or two. I just wouldn’t choose it first.

7. Jack in the Box, $6 Big Deal Meal

What’s Included: your choice of a Jr. Jumbo Jack Cheeseburger or a Jr. Chicken Sandwich, plus a taco, small curly fries, and a small soft drink.

I also don’t have a Jack in the Box near me so I wasn’t able to try it. Jack’s $6 Big Deal Meal is served with a Jr. Jumbo Jack Cheeseburger or a Jr. Chicken Sandwich plus a taco, small curly fries, and a small soft drink. I love Jack in the Box tacos but I’m not a huge fan of the burgers. The amount of food you receive through this deal is smaller in portion size than most deals above, according to one Redditer who said, “[it’s] basically kid’s meal size portions,” and it’s more expensive than most. You only save $2 on this combo if you were to order a la carte.