Aba is a relatively new modern Mediterranean hot spot with locations in Chicago, Austin, and Miami. In all three locations, Aba, which means father in Hebrew, offers a Mediterranean-inspired vibe and menu. Every dish is packed with a fusion of flavors, and the portions are perfect for sharing! Based on my visits to all three locations, these are my five must-haves at Aba. 

#1: Classic Hummus

As a Mediterranean food lover, I am sure to order hummus if I see it on a menu. Aba’s hummus is everything — its light and creamy consistency makes it perfect for scooping up in pillowy-soft pita bread or vegetable crudité.

For mushroom lovers, Aba’s wild mushroom hummus is a must. Topped with za’atar, mushroom ragu, and garlic, this mushroom hummus is the perfect starter for your authentic Mediterranean cuisine. 

#2: Greek Village Salad

Aba’s Greek salad is fresh, healthy, and delicious all at the same time. It consists of sweet and juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, red onions, Kalamata olives, bell peppers, and creamy feta cheese. Garnished with pinches of oregano and black pepper, this vibrant Greek salad is a clear staple at Aba and a perfect complement to anything else you order. 

#3: Ahi Tuna Carpaccio

The Ahi Tuna Carpaccio is as beautiful as it is delicious. The dish is decorated with pomegranate, jalapeno, hibiscus, and mint. Each of these garnishes brings out the best flavors in the tuna and leaves you wanting more. 

Emily Greiff

#4: Kebab

You can’t go wrong with any of Aba’s kebabs — each served with basmati rice. These savory and tasty entrees have a variety of accompaniments: yogurt marinade, sweet peppers, lemon, and tzatziki, to name a few. My favorite kebabs are the chicken or salmon options; these are crowd pleasers and easy to share. 

#5: Broccoli with Date Tahini

I could write a whole article about Aba’s broccoli with date tahini. This roasted broccoli is outstanding. Not only is it healthy, but it's also packed with flavor and heartiness. The charred edges of the broccoli, lemon, and garlic, dressed with sweet date nectar, offer a chewy texture contrast with that perfect note of nutty flavor. 

Emily Greiff

If you’re in Chicago, Austin, or Miami, make sure to enjoy a meal at Aba and bring lots of friends so that you can share a wide variety of dishes. This restaurant offers a medley of Mediterranean fare, and its decor is gorgeous, comfortable, and welcoming. Aba is one of my favorite restaurants, and I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too.