This year, I chose to live off-campus, which, among other things, allowed me to be more adventurous in my eating choices. As a result, I ate out far more than I did last year. I had a lot of fun trying out new places and cuisines that I don't typically eat on a regular basis. Here is my list of 20 of the best DC restaurants in 2022-2023: 

20: Roti at Foggy Bottom

Swara Bhatt

This fast-casual food restaurant serves excellent, nutritious, and inexpensive Mediterranean food with a menu that includes customized bowls, salads, and pita sandwiches. For all the vegetarians out there like me, you all will be pleased to know that there is a decent variety of options alongside the traditional, meat-centric offerings. Although I didn't eat at Roti frequently because there is not one close to AU--the one I went to is located next to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station--I was never disappointed. The marinated cauliflower used my favorite topping--a veggie so flavorful that I didn't need to add extra sauces! Unfortunately it is not available anymore, but the roasted vegetables are a pretty good alternative!

19: The Ramen Shop by Daikaya 

Located in Chinatown, the ground floor of this tiny establishment houses a ramen shop, and their second floor is home to an izakaya (which I have not been to yet). The Ramen Shop does not accept reservations and is walk-in only, so it is constantly jam packed with customers. No matter what day of the week you go, it is always very busy (though obviously more so on Fridays and weekends). Out of the 6 ramen options on the menu, only 1 is vegetarian. The Shop offers no substitutions, but I found that one vegetarian bowl to be delicious and definitely worth the wait. The ramen noodles themselves are imported from Sapporo (a city in Japan), which I think speaks to the quality of the ramen served here. I have never been to a restaurant like The Ramen Shop before, so I highly recommend it for the unique experience!

18: Bibibop Asian Grill 

Swara Bhatt

Located in Dupont Circle, Bibibop Asian Grill serves healthy and affordable Korean-inspired customizable and chef-curated bowls as well as smaller-sided 'Bibicups’. It does share many similarities with places like Seoulspice. What makes Bibibop different is their shredded egg topping, which as an egg lover myself, I was ecstatic about. It elevated my bowl to the next level (aside from the sauces of course).

17: China Chilcano

Swara Bhatt

I've heard for a long time that Peru has a sizable East Asian community, but I've never had the chance to experience Peruvian-Chinese or Peruvian-Japanese cuisine. China Chilcano, located in Penn Quarter, serves Peruvian Criollo, Chinese Chifa, and Japanese Nikkei specialties. Something I found pretty fascinating was that the menu indicated which meals were from which origin of cuisine, which I found quite useful. It was tough to get reservations because China Chilcano is always so busy. Nonetheless, I had a wonderful time there; the decor was sleek and modern, and the cuisine was tasty and unique!

16: Fiola 

Swara Bhatt

The dining experience at Chef Fabio Trabocchi's iconic One Michelin Star DC staple--a high-end restaurant serving contemporary Italian food--is the best I’ve had the pleasure of visiting this year. Aside from the decor that was equal parts modern and traditional, the servers were very gracious, understanding, and willing to answer my questions regarding the complexities of certain dishes, which is something I appreciate greatly. Although I make it a point to always be respectful and friendly whenever I eat out, I have been to restaurants where the servers treat me differently just because I am a college student. Anyways, despite the portion sizes being small, the food itself was divine, especially the Black Truffle Ricotta Gnocchi that melted in my mouth! Fiola is understandably very pricey, however, it is worth coming here for a special occasion, as the overall experience and food is definitely worth it. 

15: Zaytinya

Swara Bhatt

Zaytinya, which has 200 seats and serves a fusion of Turkish, Greek, and Lebanese food, has risen through the ranks to become one of my top picks for evening dates. The interior is sleek and contemporary yet has a strong Mediterranean feel to it. The menu is centered on mezze, and there are several spreads to be paired with freshly baked complimentary pita (of which hummus is obviously my favorite). Next comes pide (flatbreads), which are my go-to item of choice because I am more of a solo-item diner (if that makes sense?). My pide of choice is their za’atar pide, which comes with za’atar, sesame, seeds, sumac, kasar cheese, and 65˚egg; the spices, combined with the cheese and creaminess of the runny yolk. It is so delicious and a wonderfully unique combination. Overall, Zaytinya is probably my favorite of all the Jose Andres restaurants, and one of my go-tos!

14. Absolute Noodle and Sushi Bar

Swara Bhatt

I happened to come across this Judiciary Square establishment by chance; I was craving some noodles, and was searching for places with...you guessed it, noodles. I decided to pick Absolute Noodle and Sushi Bar, and I'm so glad I did! They serve a variety of East and Southeast Asian dishes from appetizers, to curries, to stir-fried noodles and noodle soups, rice dishes, sushi, donburi, and my favorite part: the make-your-own noodles. Customers can pick from a variety of noodle shapes and an assortment of toppings and sauces, depending on whether you want to stir-fry or soup-ify the noodles. I picked stir fried udon (my favorite noodle shape) noodles in chili oil with cherry tomatoes, basil, tofu shredded chunks, and caramelized onions. It was perfectly sautéed just the way I prefer! Everything was reasonably-priced, too!

13: Mr. Smith's of Georgetown

Swara Bhatt

This independently-owned and operated restaurant, located just across from the Georgetown Waterfront Park, became one of the underrated highlights of 2023 for me! Mr. Smith's has live music on Friday and Saturday nights, and the interior décor has a lovely retro vibe. There's also a little karaoke piano bar that is frequently packed, which adds to my dining experience here. Mr. Smith's serves a large range of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, steaks, make-your-own pastas, and seafood. Whenever I take my friends with me, we always order the linguini alfredo (meatless for me), and are routinely impressed by how enormous the quantities are (not to mention the garlic bread that accompanies with each pasta order)! Mr. Smith's is also known for its chicken wings, and while I don't eat meat, my friends who have been here with me rave about them. I guess that's another incentive to visit!

12: Proper 21

Swara Bhatt

This restaurant and bar on F Street serves excellent New American cuisine with a contemporary touch. Apart from the smartly decorated interior, what stood out to me at Proper21 was the sheer amount of television screens throughout the restaurant broadcasting a vast range of different sports competitions, from football to basketball to golf, and so on. Depending on what you order (I normally get the margherita flatbread) the food is not too expensive and quite tasty!

11: Ella's Wood Fired Kitchen 

Swara Bhatt

This restaurant in the Penn Quarter neighborhood is a short walk from the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro Station and is most renowned for its traditional, Neapolitan-style crispy thin-crust pizzas fresh from their wood-fired pizza oven. Ella's laid-back ambiance is ideal for relaxing and catching up with friends while eating from their extensive menu of small plates, salads, pastas, and speciality pizzas. Each pizza is made with unique ingredients (such as pine nuts, prosciutto, and gorgonzola cheese). I had the Bosco pizza, which had mushrooms, smoked mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, red onions, and thyme on top of a white cream sauce. Aside from the delicious pizza itself, I loved how fluffy and light the crust was! Ella's desserts do not disappoint as well; I could eat 3 or more of their delicious lava cakes--if I had unlimited money!

10: Matchbox 

Swara Bhatt

This local DMV chain is known for serving elevated American bistro fare such as wood-fired pizzas, mini burgers, fresh salads, and more traditional entrees. I haven’t been to any of the other Matchbox locations, but this one did not disappoint. Their Fire + Smoke pizza, consisting of basil, spanish onions, roasted garlic puree, roasted red peppers, and smoked gouda on top of chipotle puree might very well be my favorite pizza ever of all-time. It’s that good. Those who are more adventurous may want to go for the fig and prosciutto pizza, which I personally have not tried, but from others I’ve heard it is quite delicious. 

09: Taqueria Las Gemelas 

Swara Bhatt

This trendy taqueria is located in La Cosecha, the Latin American marketplace in NoMa across from Union Market. I adore tacos but have never eaten true original Mexican tacos, so I'm delighted I opted to try Taqueria Las Gemelas for the first time. It serves tacos and quesadillas prepared using blue corn tortillas (my personal favorite). There are various vegetarian-friendly alternatives among them, and they were delicious! guacamole, queso, salsa roja, and salsa verde are among the salsas supplied with blue corn tortilla chips (all of which are great in my view). A single taco costs between $3 and $5, making it quite inexpensive. For dessert, Taqueria Las Gemelas serves churros with the option of chocolate sauce or dulce de leche. If you want unique but authentic Mexican tacos, Taqueria Las Gemelas is the place to be!

08: Pho14 

Swara Bhatt

This year I tried Vietnamese food for the first time. The first Vietnamese spot I visited happens to be a favorite of my roommates, and I can see why. The menu at Pho14 includes several varieties of Pho (noodle soup), Banh Mi (sandwiches) platters, Com (rice dishes), curry/stirfry, and Bún (my personal order). The latter consists of a bowl of cold vermicelli rice noodles loaded with protein (I chose fried and shredded tofu), lettuce, cucumbers, green carrots, bean sprouts, green onion, fried onions, and either fish or sweet chili sauce (I opted for sweet chili). I also added an additional vegetarian egg roll, which was a very good idea. Overall, I loved the meal. It was so filling, and the contrast between the sweetness of the sauce and the savory vegetables and noodles was amazing. I had to hold myself back from ordering another bowl cause it was so addicting. Comfort food at its finest, if I may say so!

07: Sfoglina 

Swara Bhatt

Aside from its distinctive, classic, seasonal, handmade pastas, this Fabio Trabocchi restaurant features light Italian salads, appetizers, meat and seafood entrees, and creative interpretations of traditional Italian sweets. Sfoglina has three DMV locations (Rosslyn, Arlington, and Downtown) and just established a Boca Raton location. The setting is adorable and quirky, ideal for an intimate eating experience. I had the Mafalde Telefono, which was mafalde pasta with smoked provolone in a tomato basil sauce. The smokey flavor of the cheese provided a flavorful depth to the dish; however, the menu changes seasonally, so this is no longer on the menu. But if you like pasta as much as I do, I highly recommend visiting this restaurant. Plus, the tiramisu is to die for!

06: Tonari

Swara Bhatt

Headed by Chef Katsuya Fukushima and owned and operated by the Daikaya Group, Tonari is the first restaurant in Washington, DC to showcase Wafu Italian (Wafu means Japanese-Influenced) cuisine. Inside, the decor is modern with a flair, with sleek white walls, light wood accents, Japanese figurines, and straw-covered wine bottles. There is an open kitchen, so I could see all the chefs cooking as I was eating, which I thought was quite cool. The menu offers a range of antipasti, pizzas, and Wafu pastas. This restaurant had been on my bucket list for a long time because I'd been seeing pictures of their pizzas online and, as a sucker for pizza and anything cheesy, I knew I just had to get myself one. I got the mentaiko & corn pizza with a corn sauce, kewpie-mentaiko cream, brick cheese, and chives. Corn can be a hit or miss for me, so I was apprehensive at first, but let me tell you this was delicious! It was kind of like a mix between a Chicago deep-dish and Detroit-style pizza, so the crust was crispy and the filling was so gooey it was dripping onto the plate. If you are feeling adventurous but want some good pizza then definitely make a trip to Tonari. You won't regret it! 

05: Succotash Prime

Swara Bhatt

Sitting at 5th place is celebrity chef Edward Lee’s Succotash Prime. This steakhouse-style restaurant imbued with Southern and Korean influences is housed in a 10,000-square-foot historic bank building at 915 F Street, in the heart of Penn Quarter. The decor is very cool and is a mix of old money aesthetics—with a floor-to-ceiling mural and white corinthian columns, and typical upscale-chic designs enveloping copper-toned chairs and tables. The Old Bay Mac’N’Cheese is deliciously creamy and crunchy with a subtle hint of Old Bay seasoning, though the kale & farro salad, topped with sweet potato, feta, and drizzled with a Paprika Vinaigrette, has to be the standout dish for me. Anyone who knows me well is fully aware of how much I dislike salads, but this one may very well be the second-best salad I have ever tasted! Although these two dishes were my favorites, other items like the creamy corn succotash and the cornbread cakes are also worth trying. I wish I ate here more often because the location is so pretty and food far exceeded my expectations!

04: Elephant & Castle

Swara Bhatt

This is a British-Inspired Pub on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue that serves--you guessed it--typical British Pub food. I have been to England several times and am fascinated by traditional British cuisine, but never got the chance to try it before now. First, I loved how lively and vibrant the mood is; there were several televisions scattered throughout the restaurant playing soccer (football, I mean) matches that were quite interesting to watch. As for the food, I was particularly excited to try their cheesy leek and potato pot pie; they always look so delicious, but most places only serve the chicken and beef version. It was everything I expected and more: the pastry was light, crunchy, and flakey, and the filling was perfectly cheesy and creamy with chunks of potato within. Elephant & Castle also has a unique signature dessert called a Big Ben Brownie (consisting of two thick brownies layered with vanilla ice cream, caramel, chocolate fudge sauce, and whipped cream). Some of their other popular dishes include the butter chicken flatbread and garden wrap. I have loved everything I have ever gotten here, and highly highly recommend eating at Elephant & Castle if you're in the mood for some warming, comforting British cuisine--or if you're simply in the mood to chill and watch some soccer.

03: Takorean 

Swara Bhatt

This Asian-inspired taco shop serves a delectable combination of Korean BBQ and Mexican flavors. There is also the option of getting it in rice bowl form, which is what I prefer since I have a large appetite. Takorean is a bit more expensive than, say, Chipotle, and the portions are slightly smaller, but the uniqueness of the food offerings and the taste of the food itself elevate it beyond the such alternatives. The sushi rice, which happens to be my favorite kind of rice, is heavenly, and their tofu is so good I could eat an entire tub of it. I normally get my bowl with tofu, spiced kale, pico de gallo, guacamole, and lime crema. I love visiting the NoMa area and Union Market in particular; with each visit I can’t stop myself from getting a rice bowl here at Takorean no matter what else is available!

02: Wasai 

Swara Bhatt

This is a newly-opened modern Chinese carryout spot located in Chinatown just across from Capitol One Arena. They offer a variety of items like soup, fried rice, dumplings, and stir-fried noodles. Wasai is most well-known, however, for their hand-shaved noodles, which they offer as one of three noodle options in their wide variety of noodle soups. I got their veggie pull noodle soup and added an extra fried egg on top. Firstly, the portion was very large, which was nice. Secondly, the noodles themselves are so slippery and chewy that I wish I had enough appetite for more, but unfortunately they are also quite filling. The restaurant is busy, especially on weekdays, so it's quite difficult to snag a seat. Regardless, I regret that I wasn’t able to stop by at Wasai more often. Otherwise I would’ve had these noodles every single day!

01: La Casita Pupuseria 

Swara Bhatt

First Place on my list belongs to this wonderful establishment. Founded in Silver Spring in 2002, La Casita Pupuseria has expanded to several locations in MD and DC, one of which is in La Cosecha, the same Latin American marketplace in NoMa where Las Gemelas Taqueria is housed. Their main speciality is pupusas, a traditional delicacy from El Salvador consisting of a corn pancake stuffed with bean and cheese or a meat filling, however they also serve other Salvadorean street foods like pan de dia and pansito de pollo. I am a fiend for anything with beans and cheese, so I got their trio of bean & cheese pupusas. Not only were they perfectly piping hot (did I mention they were freshly made?), but words cannot explain how perfect and mouthwateringly delicious they were. The hotness of the pupas was the only thing keeping me from devouring them like a madman. It was easily my favorite thing I’ve eaten this year. I cannot recommend visiting and eating pupusas here at La Casita Pupuseria enough. If I could eat them evey day for lunch and dinner I would.

Here ends my ranking of twenty of the best DC restaurants in 2022-2023 that I have visited. There are some that I want to highlight as honorable mentions, such as Old Ebbitt Grill, Chinatown Garden, and MXDC Cocina Mexicana. I liked all of the restaurants I dined at this academic school year, and it was very difficult for me to rank them. However, after long and careful deliberation, I finally managed to order all the eateries that I enjoyed most in the nation's capital, and hopefully it will inspire others to try out these places and have amazing food in the process!