Are you craving a quality dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth? Do you have a little time on your hands? Look no further, the exotic ingredients in this black sesame tart will transport you straight to Asia and away from midterm season for an hour. Black sesame is originally from Africa, but it is now extensively grown in India and the Far East. It has an earthy flavor that pairs great with the citrus notes of yuzu. Yuzu is a citrus originally from China, and it's now widely used in Japan and Korea. The flavor is a tangy mix of grapefruit and lime and is very aromatic. 

When I was at the grocery store, I saw a bright jar of yuzu marmalade that had me dreaming of all the different things I could eat with it: breakfast scones, crostini, cheese and crackers, the list goes on. Then it dawned on me—a black sesame tart—and I found this recipe for a black sesame tart base. The nutty flavor accentuates the acidity of the yuzu and makes it the standout ingredient that you'll be thinking about for days (I know I'll be). The first layer of the tart is luscious whipped cream infused with refreshing basil, stimulating your taste buds and preparing you for the next layer of zesty, yuzu-y marmalade with flavors which explode in your mouth. The final bite of crispy, invigorating sesame shortcrust balances the bite, leaving you with the best flavor profile and craving for more.

#SpoonTip: Eat the remaining whipped cream as a fruit dip or use as frosting, a nice addition to a crepe cake, or as my personal favorite—straight out of the container.

These tarts are perfect for you to bring to your next potluck or to make a home-made dessert for a date, and they are a great way to show off your culinary skills to your mom! Most importantly, the next time you need to have a study break or destress, bake these tarts and reward yourself for your hard work.

Time to tart!

Yuzu Basil Black Sesame Tart

• Prep Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 12 mins

• 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons black sesame paste—substitute with 1 tablespoon roasted black sesame seeds and 1 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
  • 1 large egg
  • Yuzu marmalade—substitute with any citrus jam or marmalade
  • 1 cup heavy cream chilled and divided
  • 1/4 cup basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon honey
Camille Fang

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

Add black sesame paste. If you're making your own, roast sesame seeds until they're aromatic and then grind in a blender. Add honey and mix.

Add butter and eggs, and continue mixing until dough is formed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill. Also, chill a deep metal bowl for making whipped cream in the fridge.

Anna Chang

Divide tart dough and press evenly into muffin tins. The bottom layer should be thin because the dough rises when baking weights are not used.

Anna Chang

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Lightly press down bottoms if risen. Cool completely.

Anna Chang

To make whipped cream base, first blend basil and a third of the heavy cream.

Add remaining heavy cream, powdered sugar, and honey in a bowl and mix until firm peaks form (6-8 minutes). Don't overmix, or you'll churn butter instead!

To assemble, add yuzu marmalade as desired in tart bottom layer. Top up with basil whipped cream. Garnish with crushed freeze-dried strawberries or fresh fruit. Enjoy!

Anna Chang