Between five textbooks, lecture PowerPoints and catching up on on those classes you missed, finals week can be more than just stressful. If you’re anything like me, you need something to look forward to. Thankfully, the holidays are around the corner, and what’s better than that nice long break with great food?

Commons food is not the best, and even if you’re not on a meal plan, you don’t want to brave the cold to grab food. We’ll all just continue to claim we are poor college students, even if that’s a stretch from the truth.

Lucky for you, Spoon University came up with the best restaurants to take your parents after a stressful finals week. Check out what we concluded!

Carnegie House Restaurant Located in Carnegie Inn & Spa

restaurant

Photo by Carnegie Inn & Spa

Located in Toftrees, this hidden gem is perfect for those searching for fine dining in State College. This restaurant is found inside the hotel and spa, and it is always packed. We suggest making reservations. This place is great for family gatherings, such as graduation, where people can enjoy themselves without worrying about time.

Food suggestion: “Certified Angus Beef ” Filet Mignon. If you’re looking for a perfect piece of steak, this is the perfect spot. Based on your preference, the chefs cook your meat to perfection. The steak is topped with juicy balsamic mushrooms, Gorgonzola cheese and a red wine demi glace. Buttermilk mashed potatoes finish this dish to make it the perfect meal.

Spats Cafe and Speakeasy Restaurant

restaurant

Photo by Spats Cafe & Speakeasy Restaurant

Looking for something new and exciting? How about some New Orleans dishes? Spats Cafe and Speakeasy Restaurant is the perfect spot when you’re craving something different. Offering large entrees, demi entrees, tapas and a gluten free menu, this place is sure to please mostly everyone. The warm colors found inside the restaurant make customers feel cozy while they eat the perfect comfort foods.

Food suggestion: Chicken with Shrimp, Andouille and Creamy Corn. This is the perfect dish for meat and seafood lovers. A personal favorite, this dish comes on top of a cornbread stuffing and collard greens. What’s not to love?

Zola New World Bistro

restaurant

Photo by Zola New World Bistro

If the other two restaurants don’t appeal to you, this one is sure to please. This is our parents go-to restaurant. The main entrees change monthly, offering something new to returning customers. The entree selection is nothing short of delicious, and many people recognize this. A reservation is needed! The kitchen is open toward the visitors, so customers are able to see the delicious food that is being made.

Food suggestion: Mac and Cheese. My personal favorite, this appetizer is mixed with black truffles and gruyere cheese. The perfect amount of cheese and truffles, this rich and creamy appetizer leaves you wanting to lick the plate when you’re finished.

restaurant

Photo by Jennifer Weintraub

Food suggestion: Cheese Fondue for Two. There are three flavors offered: champagne and kirsch, mushroom and truffle essence and roasted garlic and rosemary. My personal favorite is the mushroom and truffle essence (shown below), but all of the fondues are amazing. It comes with sliced apples, bread and broccoli to dip in.

restaurant

Photo by Jennifer Weintraub

Do you agree these are the best restaurants in State College? Have any more recommendations? Be sure to leave your comments below!

Carnegie House Restaurant

Expensive

Location: 100 Cricklewood Drive, State College, PA 16803
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7 am – 9:30 am, 11 am – 2 pm, 5 pm – 9 pm, Saturday: 7 am – 10 am, 5 pm – 9 pm, Sunday: 7 am – 10 am

Spats Cafe and Speakeasy Restaurant

Expensive

Location: 142 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801
Hours of Operation: Monday through Saturday: 11:30 am – 3 pm, 5 pm – close, Closed on Sundays

Zola New World Bistro

Expensive

Location: 324 West College Avenue, State College, PA 16801
Hours of Operation: Monday through Thursday: 11:30 am – 2 pm, 5:30 pm – 9 pm, Friday: 11:30 am – 2 pm, 5:30 pm – 10 pm, Saturday: 5:30 pm – 10 pm.