Zingerman’s Roadhouse, the sit-down restaurant version of Ann Arbor residents’ favorite deli, is known for their delicious and unique versions of American classics. While most people venture over to the Roadhouse for the lunch and dinner menu (their sinfully creamy version of mac and cheese was the winner in our Restaurant Wars: Mac and Cheese), the restaurant also serves breakfast Monday through Friday and brunch on the weekends.
My vote: Even though their dinner dishes are perfectly indulgent (I’m a huge fan of their BBQ sauces), their classic breakfast options with a twist are also worth a try.

Zingerman’s Roadhouse is perfectly quaint, even if it is a bit off the beaten path (the joint is definitely not walkable from campus). The restaurant is decorated with the company’s signature quirky font and the décor and atmosphere give off an ideal All-American vibe. While the brunch and breakfast menu do differ slightly, the menus are similar, offering the basics (think eggs, waffles, breakfast pastries) and also signature items like their corn beef hash.

I was immediately overwhelmed with choices — everything sounded (and looked) insane. I decided to go with their Grits and Eggs: stone ground grits topped with two fried eggs, Nueske’s applewood smoked bacon, Cabot aged cheddar cheese and scallions, served with toast. I am a huge, huge fan of grits and the dish effortlessly satisfied my craving. The bacon was crispy and of great quality, while the aged cheese was the perfect savory touch. I had never had eggs on grits before, and I quickly fell in love as the grits absorbed the yolk flavor. Despite the ingredients working in harmony, I did find the grits a bit under seasoned.

Photo by Meredith Whitman

My brunch companion opted for building her own omelet and was thrilled with how fluffy the eggs were, but did feel slightly overwhelmed by all the cheese. In a unique twist, the breakfast potatoes were not your typical hash brown — they were actually whole, smashed potatoes with the skins still on them. While she was hoping for a more traditional hash brown experience, you can be the judge if their take on breakfast potatoes is spot-on.

Photo by Meredith Whitman

The verdict? Zingerman’s Roadhouse breakfast and brunch is worth a try, but not as insane as their other menus. The menu offers variety and quality, but if you’re looking for the classics done the traditional way, I would look elsewhere. Also, make sure you check what hours they are serving breakfast before you go (they have different hours for different days!)

average

Address: 2501 Jackson Ave, Ann Arbor

Hours of operation: Mon-Thur 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. -11 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m.-9 p.m.