When it's actually tolerable weather outside (aka heat but with a nice breeze), the summertime in New York City is my favorite time of year to walk around for hours on end. As the days get longer and the sunlight seems to last forever, businesses and tables move outside. To avoid having to scour the internet, I put together some of NYC's best summer eats, many of which are on my favorites list because of their outdoor seating, open and breezy architecture, and delicious summer specials. 

BRUNCH

1. Freemans 

Freemans, a total gem in the heart of New York City, is tucked away at the end of Freemans Alley on NYC's Lower East Side. Without an actual number address, you have to know about the spot in order to find it. Freemans Alley is off of Rivington Street between Bowery and Chrystie St. Once you step in through the baby blue front door, you will be transported to foodie-heaven. 

Menu

Freeman Alley, New York, NY 10002

2. Rosemary's 

With a rooftop garden that produces ingredients for their own delectable dishes, Rosemary's is the top-notch definition of farm-to-table dining. They not only boast freshly picked herbs and vegetables, but they also serve house-made pastas. Dedicated to creating a sense of community around food, Rosemary's is truly a warm, welcoming, scrumptious family restaurant. 

Menu 

18 Greenwich Avenue, New York, NY 10011 

3. Jams

Housed in the greenery-covered first floor of 1 Hotel Central Park, Jams is the NYC summer escape that you no longer have to dream about. Located just steps away from Central Park, you won't even realize you aren't in the park anymore. If you are struggling to decide what to order from their star-studded menu, I highly recommend their heavenly French toast made with the softest house-made brioche and topped off with huckleberry syrup and whipped cream.

Menu

1414 6th Avenue New York, NY 10019 

4. Dante 

A registered New York City landmark, Dante has been around since the restaurant opened its doors in 1915. I love this spot for brunch because of their homemade banana bread and fluffy orange juice, but they do also offer an incredible dinner spread along with one of the 50 best bars in the world (for real, though). 

Menu 

79-81 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012

DINNER

1. Gallow Green 

Located on the rooftop of the McKittrick Hotel, Gallow Green is the picture-perfect realization of a garden party. Their Sunset Sundays series, which takes place every Sunday evening at 7pm, showcases live music from international artists and features specialty cocktails, providing the perfect ending to any summer week. Though Gallow Green's sunset dinners are second-to-none, their weekend brunches, which are $35/person for an endless buffet, feature live performances as well. Make sure to get your reservations ASAP because they book-up insanely fast!

Menu 

542 W 27th St, New York, NY 10001

2. Tipsy Parson 

THIS mac and cheese must not be missed. Beyond their mac, Tipsy Parson has everything you could crave, from their Hush Puppies, to their kale and quinoa salad, to their Nashville-hot fried chicken and waffles. A modern and relaxed twist on the Southern charm of food, you will find yourself wanting to come back over and over again, so brace yourself. 

Menu

156 Ninth Ave between 19th & 20th, New York, NY 10011

3. De Maria 

An entirely female-led and female-empowered restaurant, De Maria is championed by chef Ariana Urbina, who was the 2017 winner of "Chopped." The restaurant boasts an interior modeled after a 70s Soho artist's studio, with constantly flowing colorful food inspired by Urbina's Venezuelan heritage.  

Menu 

19 Kenmare St, New York, NY 10012

4. Supper 

With some of the most insane spaghetti pomodoro I've ever had, and that is a lofty honor given it's my go-to dish, Supper does Italian food like no other. In addition to making the best pomodoro for dinner and serving a pint of vanilla ice cream or chocolate sorbet for dessert, Supper has its own daily suppers and risotto selections that rotate every day of the week. Two of my favorites are Wednesday's lasagna alla bolognese and Saturday's Milanese risotto. 

Menu 

156 East 2nd St, New York, NY 10009

SWEETS

1. Mah Ze Dahr Bakery 

We've all seen the viral rainbow cakes, but Mah Ze Dahr Bakery's twisted and fresh version of the colorful masterpiece is a total game-changer. While flipping out over the cake, sip on one of the bakery's refreshing fruit spritzers (I suggest the apricot & chamomile flavor) at one of Sarah Jessica Parker's must-try NYC spots

Menu

28 Greenwich Avenue, New York, NY 10011 

2. Dessert Club, ChikaLicious 

Why have a regular ice cream cone when you can have a churro as your trophy stand for those delectable scoops? With the genius tagline "You Dessert Better," a literally fresh take on the saying "you deserve better," the Dessert Club at ChikaLicious knows exactly what you need to satisfy that sweet-tooth. Get there quickly, though, as the line for these coveted churro cones is getting longer and longer.

Menu

204 East 10th St, New York, NY 10003

3. Maison Pickle

Well, um, I will just be staring at this 24-layer chocolate cake for the rest of the day. Though the restaurant is dessert-wise deceiving by the name of the place, Maison Pickle, and their specials are French dips and cocktails, which are both delish, Maison Pickle serves some ridiculous sweet treats. 

Menu

2315 Broadway, New York, NY 10024

4. Supermoon Bakehouse

Yes, these are real croissants that are both edible and incredible (ha unintentional rhyme but I like it). If you haven't yet heard of Supermoon Bakehouse, you MUST check it out. Seriously, though, just scroll through their instagram and you will understand what I'm talking about. In addition to the croissants, CRUFFINS, a combo of a croissant and a muffin, are also a thing that you have to read up about and try for yourself. As stated on their website, "Everything is always f****** delicious." Can't beat that f****** tagline!

Menu

120 Rivington St, New York, NY, 10002

BONUS: Best Brooklyn Spots 

I know this article is supposed to be about NYC's best summer eats, but I couldn't leave out some of my go-to spots in Brooklyn. Because it is not part of the main island borough of Manhattan, some people are hesitant to venture out into Brooklyn. Their loss. Brooklyn is one of my favorite areas because it has the hip and trendy aspects of downtown, but the overall vibe is more relaxed and chill. 

1. 12 Chairs Cafe

An Israeli-inspired corner cafe, 12 Chairs Cafe is a Sunday bruncher's dream. Though the spot actually has more than 12 chairs, obviously, and yes, I did count to make sure, it is the perfect little size to feel as though you are in your own summer dreamland.

Menu 

342 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249

2. Sunday in Brooklyn

Yes, those are pancakes, and yes, they are as good as they look, if not better (is that even possible?). Everything here is both visually stunning and tastefully delicious. And, of course, their drinks are epic: Havana Honey Bear, Pool Party Yay!!, and PEA-ña Colada. What more could you ask for on a Sunday in Brooklyn (HA get it).  

Menu

348 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211

3. Butler Bakeshop 

Butler Bakeshop is the ideal location for a morning coffee that ends up turning into a full-day outing because you just never want to leave. Sitting with a book or computer (they have free Wifi #bless), you can ~work~ while observing the largest variety of interesting people bustle in-and-out while you munch on a Butler's scrumptious petite French toast. 

Menu 

95 South 5th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249

4. Mister Dips

There is no doubt that Mister Dips has to be on my list for NYC's best summer eats...I mean, look and drool at that ice cream. This spot has one of the most epic rooftop views that you must see for yourself. Trust me: your stomach and eyes will thank you. 

Menu

111 N 12th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249

Realistically, this list could go on forever, buuut I'm going to leave it up to YOU to explore the many wonders of NYC in the summer.