Getting out of the Wake Bubble from time to time by camping out downtown for studying or hanging out with friends is essential, but knowing where to go is the question. Almost everyone and their roommate has heard of Camino Bakery and, don’t get me wrong, I love Camino (their pastries are to die for and their lattes never fail to wow), but it can be beyond crowded and parking is more often than not an absolute nightmare! If parallel parking isn't your forte, this could be a challenge! If you feel my pain, never fear, because Twin City Hive is here.

Ansley Bird
Ansley Bird

Twin City Hive coffee lounge has been buzzing since 2014 and can be counted on to cater to all your cravings. Located on the outskirts of city center near Old Salem, they have you covered for a no stress parking experience (thank god). The baristas who work there are friendly and knowledgeable. They never hesitate to answer any of your questions and are easy to talk to. They serve only North Carolina roasted coffee and their menu offers everything from the classic mocha to the token white girl’s favorite pumpkin pie latte, but my personal favorites are the Twin City Miel and the Five Spice. The Miel contains honey, cinnamon, and raw sugar and the Five Spice cinnamon, cardamom, clove, black pepper and orange. Both are not to be overlooked. If coffee isn’t your thing, maybe a cup of tea will be. They have an expansive tea menu that is just as unique and bursting with complex flavors. The Tobacco Heritage and Sweet Mango Honey Bush never fail to please. 

Ansley Bird
Ansley Bird

Alright, now for what you’ve all been waiting for: the food. The Hive has a never ending rotation of pastries that never fails to make my mouth water. Shameless plug here for the bacon cinnamon roll, the jalapeno cheddar biscuits, and prosciutto mozzarella croissant. There have been too many days when I’ve stepped through the door swearing up and down to myself that I will be strong enough to resist the allure of the pastries only to find myself moments later gleefully ordering two or three “to share.” If you aren’t a big bread person, then maybe the handmade chocolate truffles will be more to your liking. Rich and creamy, these delicate and delectable bites bring heaven down to earth.. until you find yourself craving more. 

Ansley Bird
Ansley Bird

There is something to be said about the atmosphere of the Hive as well. The grey walls and dark color scheme lend a sense of warmth that doesn’t only come from your steaming cup of joe. Chic, cozy, and intimate, those who take their coffee “for here” often find themselves sinking into the warm atmosphere and comfy couches until that “five minute study break” chatting with friends becomes a hour… and then another. Outside seating is available out front on the street as well as out back in the alley way. 

Ansley Bird

If nothing I have said so far has piqued your interest maybe my next two words will: student discount. That's right folks. The Hive is one of the few places that takes our mountains of student loans into account and cuts us a little slack. They also have loyalty cards available where you can earn a free drink after ten cups of coffee, but by far the coolest thing they have to offer is what they call the Cup for Change. It allows for you to pay it forward and buy a cup of coffee for a stranger as an act of random kindness. If this doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will, so head on over for your next grind sess and check out all what Twin City Hive has to offer.