To be honest, I never really understood why people traveled from all over the world to visit Newport. I grew up having a beach house in the area, so my family would always head to Newport to get a bite to eat or even to do a little shopping. When I think about vacationing, I think about a tropical island filled with palm tress and frozen drinks. I would never even have imagined booking a room in Newport… until now.

I currently live in Newport and can I say I’m having the best time of my life…. eating and drinking anything you can think of. This past week, my friend came to visit for the night and we headed out for dinner and drinks. She is getting married at the Hyatt in 2 months, so we decided we were going to take a look around. Pineapples is the outside bar at the Hyatt. When you are pulling up to the place, it really doesn’t look like much. Honestly, the building looks as though it could fit in in the middle of a city. But once you walk through those doors, its game over. I did not feel like I was in Newport anymore. I felt as if I was on that tropical island I dream about on a day to day basis. So I guess you can say I took what I had for granted all of these years.

Newport

photo by Jessie Heckman

The bar is just amazing. A band plays what one would call “tropical music” while you sit there and sip or slug your mudslide as your looking right onto the Newport Bridge. It seriously is such a magical experience. There is no other word to describe it. Not only are there tables on an open patio next to the bar, but they have tens of chairs overlooking the water right next to a group of fire pits. Like seriously, it cannot get any better. I lied…it could. On Monday night at sunset, they even do a free champagne toast.

Newport

photo by Jessie Heckman

Not only do they serve drinks, but they also have so good food for you to snack on. Whether you are in the mood for a healthy salad or even a hot dog, they got it. I’d recommend crunching on some chips and salsa and then slurping down some RI oysters.

So, if you are planning on visiting Newport this summer, you need to check out Pineapples. And honestly, you’ll probably see me there.