Can you smell that? The Black Cow Coffee Roasters is sandwiched between Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts in Pleasantville. Despite this, whenever I am in the need of a home-town feel and a really good coffee I end up at Black Cow.

Here are a few reasons why you should skip Starbucks and support this local coffee shop:

1. Order a Signature Drink

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

One of there signature drinks is called The Black Cow which has espresso, real chocolate milk, foam, and whip cream. If you want something cold try the Frozen Cappuccino or the Frozen Chai.

Take that Starbucks.

2. It’s the Real Stuff

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

Most commercial coffees are made with Robusta beans, a lesser grade down in elevation which means less flavorful coffee. The Black Cow Coffee only serves coffee beans grown at 3,500 feet and above, which makes for rich full flavors. No watered down crap. Become a coffee tasting expert.

3. Bring the Beans Home

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

Plus, you will find over 15 different coffee beans that you can buy. But first find out what type of coffee you are.

3. Homey-Feel

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

To enjoy the small town feel of people who seem to have nowhere to go but hang out at Black Cow Coffee.

4. Bread Alone Bakery

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

The local Hudson Valley Bakery, Bread Alone, supplies Black Cow with their baked goods. The raspberry cornmeal and morning glory muffins are on point. Or if you’re feeling adventurous you could always make your own muffins.

5. Eclectic Furniture

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

You can sit in one of the comfy mismatched chairs, notice the eclectic Edison light bulbs and stare in awe at the local artwork on the wall. It’s a hipster’s paradise.

6. Latte Art

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

Get a really cool latte with fancy latte art. Perfect for the gram.

7. No Frills

coffee

Photo by Joseph Gonzalez

FYI you won’t find Cotton Candy Frappuccinos here. Instead, you’ll find unique concoctions without a trademark.