Back in the day, spy movies (think Get Smart or Spy Kids) were all the hype. If you were anything like me, you spent the majority of your childhood envisioning yourself becoming a spy. Sadly, this dream of kicking butt and taking names comes to an end for most people. That's where SafeHouse Chicago comes in.

A spy-themed restaurant that dishes out some of the Windy City's tastiest burgers while allowing you to relive your spy dreams? Yes, please. Recently, I visited this underground (yes, you heard that right) restaurant, and here are my thoughts. 

The Atmosphere

Located in the heart of Chicago, SafeHouse Chicago has a unique look that doesn't compare to any neighboring eateries. With a hidden, subtle appearance, you'll do a double take before realizing this is where SafeHouse Chicago is located—or is that just me?

When you first head inside, do not be alarmed. The restaurant, which takes being undercover to an entirely new level, is disguised as an office. Yes, an office. Here, a person will greet you (I don't want to ruin the surprise), but if you pass the test, you'll be whisked away to the underground restaurant. 

Talk about dinner and a show. The dimly-lit restaurant features spy memorabilia, a photo booth and futuristic decor. Seriously, the restaurant does not lack in the spy-themed department. It's like stepping into a movie. 

The Grub

Glancing over the menu, two things caught my eye: The prices are extremely reasonable, and the menu is versatile. SafeHouse Chicago's menu consists of everything from SR-71 Black Bird (aka a fried chicken sandwich) to The Station Chief's Salmon (a Korean BBQ-glazed piece of salmon). I was overwhelmed, to say the least. 

After contemplating the many menu choices (and asking my waitress approximately 20 questions), I ordered the beloved Fried C4 Cheese Curds as an appetizer. For my entrée, I went with the classic Spy Burger with the Texan-style toppings: BBQ sauce, bacon, and cheddar. 

Both of these choices proved delicious. The cheese curds arrived to the table piping hot and ready to be devoured with a side of dipping sauces. Seriously, these greasy, cheesy curds were melt-in-your-mouth. 

With a stomach full of cheese curds, I wasn't sure what to expect with my entrée. As an avid burger eater, my expectations were high, and I can genuinely say my expectations were exceeded. It was a burger for the books, folks. Everything about this was addicting: the gooey cheese, the tang of the BBQ sauce, crisp bacon and a perfectly-grilled patty. 

The other Spoon member that accompanied me on this food journey, Rachel, went with the Korean-glazed salmon. From the looks of her empty plate, I assume she enjoyed her meal just as much as I enjoyed mine. 

Final Thoughts

With reasonable prices and a one-of-a-kind atmosphere, SafeHouse Chicago needs to be on your list of restaurants to visit. Take a group of friends with you and enjoy a fat burger (and some cheese curds). You'll feel like a spy, while eating some of the tastiest food in the Chicagoland area.