After coming out of study mode and relaxing after a long day you suddenly realize that Kessel is closed. You’re not exactly in the mood for dinner but a late night snack will do. You could make one of these five snacks with your microwave or freezer, but if you’re feeling lazy, there’s always The Perk or Kessel After Dark. Yup, you read that right, Kessel After Dark has stepped up to the plate to compete against The Perk for best on-campus late night destination. But does it have what it takes to win the stomachs of hungry college kids?

Round 1: Hours

late night

Photo by Christabelle Antoine

Kessel starts to close their stations around 9 pm, which leaves slim pickings for those of you staggering out of Miller Hall from that 3-hour class. If you’re patient enough to wait another hour, Kessel After Dark will be ready to shower you with food from 10 pm – 12 am. On the other hand, if you’re not about that waiting life, The Perk opens its doors from 9 pm – 1 am.

Winner: The Perk

Double the hours means more options for me to grab a snack.

Round 2: Food

late night

Photo by Christabelle Antoine

Now both places have tons of delicious treats and savory foods that make the average Pace student say, “I have a food baby and I’m pretty sure I know who the father is”. Food is definitely no joke when it comes to college students. That’s why I’ll offer one of the most popular items from each late night eatery.

An all time favorite all year round is The Perk’s creamy milkshakes. Flavors that vary from Vanilla to Mint Chocolate Chip. But, if the Perk doesn’t have the flavor you’re looking for, you can try to make one of these homemade beauties.

On the other hand, Kessel After Dark tempts your weight loss plans by sliding a tray of 6 Fried Oreos your way. Considering how delicious they smell, you might just end up having to treat yo’self.

Winner: Kessel After Dark

Fried Oreos just a walk away? Kessel ftw.

Round 3: Entertainment

late night

photo by Christabelle Antoine

Now that you’ve finally gotten your order, it’s time to sit back and enjoy. But now what are your options?

At Kessel After Dark, there are a few TV’s for you to watch while enjoying your Grilled Cheese. There’s usually an event going on in Kessel during the later hours so while you’re there you can go to one and earn some housing points. It’s a win-win.

Meanwhile, The Perk is known for hosting special events such as Open Mic, Karaoke, and board game night. You can play Taboo, Apples to Apples, and Monopoly. If you only want to relax though, there are plenty of tables for you to sit with friends. Student management of The Perk may have to do with why its atmosphere is so inviting and cozy.

Winner: The Perk

Who needs TV when I can just school my friends in a game of Monopoly.

Round 4: Prices

late night

Photo by Christabelle Antoine

Now that we’ve covered the basics let’s get down to how much meal plan money you’ll be spending. While Kessel After Dark may have the smaller menu, they do have different options for great prices I mean they have Chicken Quesadillas ($5.95) and 6 piece Wings ($4.95) all for a total of $10.90.

The Perk has a stellar variety too. 10 piece Pizza Rolls ($3.50), Jamaican Beef Patty ($3.50), and Sausage Egg & Cheese ($3.50) are prices that match the amount of money you’re willing to spend at 10 at night. You can see the full menu here. Remember with great variety, comes great responsibility…to your stomach.

Winner: The Perk

Super cheap and super filling foods give The Perk a slight edge over Kessel After Dark.

WHO WINS?

late night

Photo by Christabelle Antoine

The Perk wins this battle with sweeping victories in almost all categories except food. If only the Kessel After Dark menu was available at The Perk. Test out both late night eateries for yourself and when you do please order both the milkshake and the Oreos. Because you can always stop by both.