'Tis the season of pumpkin spice lattes and basic fall activities!  Number one on my list this fall (besides passing midterms) is finding the perfect place for apple picking near Georgetown. 

If you want to fully embrace the fall season in DC without paying too much in Uber fare, here are the top seven places to spend a wholesome Saturday afternoon picking apples.

1. Great Country Farms

Where: Bluemont, VA

Time it takes to get there: 1 hour

Why it's worth the drive: Great Country Farms is the perfect place to get in touch with your inner child with fun activities like wagon rides, corn mazes, and apple picking. Sure, you might be the oldest one there without a kid in tow, but who cares when the apple cider donuts are this good?

2. Waters Orchard

Where: Germantown, MD

Time it takes to get there: 45 minutes

Why it's worth the drive: Waters Orchard is a closer option with just as much to offer. With a huge variety of apples, from Fuji to Pink Lady, Waters Orchard is an apple-lover's dream. Make sure to check out their hard apple cider while you're there to make a good time a great time.

3. Stribling Orchard

Where: Markham, VA

Time it takes to get there: 1 hour

Why it's worth the drive: Stribling Orchard is a little further away, but the distance is totally worth it. Plan to spend a day at the orchard: bring a picnic, and enjoy the view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. With 30 acres of apple trees, a bakery, and Saturday musical entertainment, there's plenty to see and no entrance fee.

4. Hartland Orchards

Where: Linden, VA

Time it takes to get there: 1 hour

Why it's worth the drive: If you have a sweet tooth, Hartland Orchards is another great option. After you pick your fill of apples and take a run at the corn maze, check out their homemade Hartland honey and apple cider.

5. Hollin Farms

Where: Delaplane, VA

Time it takes to get there: 1 hour

Why it's worth the drive: If you want  more options for your day at the farm, head to Hollin Farms. Not only do they have plenty of apple options, but they also let their guests dig their own potatoes and peanuts! Major bonus: it's dog friendly—just don't forget a leash!

6. Mackintosh Fruit Farm

Where: Berryville, VA

Time it takes to get there: a little over an hour

Why it's worth the drive: If the town name isn't convincing enough, the monthly farm fresh dinners and festive (homemade!) caramel apples at Mackintosh Fruit Farm will definitely persuade you to make the trip. Borrow one of their complimentary wagons for picking and make a day of it!

7. Larriland Farm

Where: Woodbine, MD

Time it takes to get there: a little less than an hour

Why it's worth the drive: Um... apple fritters, anyone? Larriland Farms is the perfect place to celebrate the fall season with hay rides, a straw maze, and even some food trucks on the weekend. Remember to call ahead to make sure there's enough fruit for picking!

If you catch a break from midterms and want to send a Saturday somewhere other than Lau, head to an orchard for some last minute apple picking near Georgetown and soak up all the fall festivities you can before the season passes. The perfect study break (and Instagram story) awaits!