Fall is finally here, even if it may not feel like it, and there's almost nothing better than pumpkin patches and apple picking to kick off the season. In my opinion, the first week of October is way too early for pumpkin spice-flavored foods and Halloween costume brainstorming, but apple picking? Yes please! Apples can honestly be enjoyed year round, but going to an orchard and picking them yourself is the perfect fall activity. Check out some of the greatest apple picking spots in Columbus for your next weekend adventure!

Lynd Fruit Farm

Lynd Fruit Farm is my personal favorite when it comes to fruit picking. Not only do they have delicious apples, but they also have pumpkins, berries, and peaches. And if that's not enough, they also have a huge farm market with amazing pickles, specialty jams, and fresh produce. This is the place to go for everything you'll need this fall! Apple picking takes place on the weekends through October. 

Orchard and Company

If you're a serious apple fan, this is the orchard for you. Orchard and Company has scheduled ripening dates depending on the type of apple, so you know when to go for your favorites. You can also check their website ahead of time for a full description on the different apples they have. Don't forget to take a ride on their wagon and check out some pumpkins too!

Branstool Orchards

Branstool is great for a weekday trip because they have apple picking seven days a week! Branstool is known for their peaches, but their apples are great for pie. There's a lot of local produce to choose from in their market too. 

CherryHawk Farm

CherryHawk Farm is a little farther from campus, but definitely worth the trip. Visitors love the variety of apples that they offer and their reasonable prices. On your way back to school, stop by Glacier Ridge Metro Park for some great trails and hiking. 

Lawrence Orchards

Lawrence Orchards grows 26 different types of apples throughout the year. They also have award-winning, fresh apple cider to enjoy while walking through the orchard. Lawrence Orchards is also known for different festivals including the upcoming Applebutter and Horseradish Day on October 26th. 

And in case you don't have time to venture out for apple picking, here are some local farmers' markets closer to campus. 

Clintonville Farmers' Market

The Clintonville Farmers' Market is definitely a favorite of Ohio State students. Saturday's from April until late November are the perfect time to check out this farmers' market. Going to check out the produce here is a great way to start a non-football Saturday in Columbus!

Pearl Market

Pearl Market isn't open for long, but it's a great place to stop by on Tuesday and Friday mornings. The market is only open from May until October, so try to check it out before it ends! Pearl Market is best known for having some really cute goats to play with too! 

There's nothing quite like autumn in Columbus. And there's really nothing like apple fritters and apple cider at an apple orchard in Columbus.