The croissant: golden, buttery layers of deliciousness with soft, light-as-air insides that might envelop a dark nugget of chocolate (we can always use more chocolate). Savory or sweet, jam-filled or plain, the croissant is an engineering feat in itself. You can never go wrong with these flaky pastries made with painstaking devotion, one fold at a time.

We tried all the croissants within walking distance of Brown so you don’t have to (unless you want to). Bonus: most of these bakeries also make great coffee and espresso drinks, so you can grab a quick breakfast or stay and study (and check out our coffee guide).

Here’s a quick and easy guide to your choices, all within reach in under 30 minutes by foot, for when Blue Room muffins just aren’t enough. Perfect while studying, during finals, or on a fun day out. Happy eating.

Seven Stars Bakery

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

With over five different varieties of croissants available, Seven Stars gets an honorary “Best All-Around” award. Swing by for a butter or chocolate; both are solid choices. If you want to indulge, we recommend the almond or the chocolate almond croissant for the nutty almond filling, or the savory options like ham and cheese.

Ask them to warm your croissant for maximum enjoyment. Warning: no wifi, but great patio outside for relaxing when the weather is nice.

The Coffee Exchange

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

Don’t let its name deter you, this coffee shop stocks great croissants, too. This is a great study spot with wifi, amazing coffee, and croissants. What more could you ask for? The Coffee Exchange fills up quickly with students and locals alike, so get there before the afternoon rush to beat the line and snag a study table.

L’Artisan Cafe and Bakery

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

This is the bakery of choice for a casual Sunday stroll. Walk past the enticing sandwiches, wraps, and desserts in the deli case and ask for a croissant instead. The simple butter and chocolate croissants are light, delicate, and flaky in just the right amount for an afternoon snack to go with the light jazz playing in the background.

Cafe Choklad

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

Down in RISD territory, this little cafe has cozy cushions and tables that make it ideal for hanging out with friends. The croissants here are great on their own, but you can also add eggs and/or meat and/or cheese for a nice breakfast sandwich (who doesn’t love breakfast?). To each their own.

On the plus side, the trek back up the hill will provide a much needed workout after you’ve polished off your plate.

Blue State Coffee

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

The Thayer Street location makes Blue State’s croissants the most convenient choice. Next time you’re here for that almond-milk-mocha-caramel-turbo-charged-iced-latte power drink, grab a croissant as well. And while you’re at it, you’ll be supporting fair-trade coffee and dozens of local non-profits. Good for your belly, great for the world.

Au Bon Pain

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

If you’re really in a rush, the croissants here will do the job. Plus, it’s across the street from the Scili, ideal for the “I’m late for my 9 am test” run, and probably the least expensive option on this list. We hear they also have a monster “CroisBun”…any brave souls willing to try it?

croissant providence

Photo by Kana Hamamoto

Love all things pastry related? Check out these: