Udon probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks about noodles from Japan. Ramen usually takes all the fame, and it’s time to shift the spotlight to udon, Japan’s overlooked noodle dish. For the best udon in Tokyo, head to Shin Udon; it serves a bowl that might ruin all the other noodles in your future.

Princie Kim

Shin Udon is in the Shinjuku district and is situated on a side street in a residential neighborhood. Despite being tucked away in a small pocket of the city, this ten-seat shop has a long line that snakes down the road. But for the best udon in Tokyo, any wait is well worth it. 

Princie Kim

The texture of the noodles is what separates Shin from its noodle competition. When served, the noodles come tightly wrapped in a snail-like spiral, and they glisten with their glossy sheen. The noodles' slippery surface makes them ideal for slurping, and their plumpness makes every bite a chewy delight. The chef achieves making elastic and bouncy noodles, which is pure magic. Watching him hand-roll and boil fresh udon from outside the shop’s window is nothing short of mesmerizing.

Shin offers both kake (hot) and zaru (cold) udon. The more familiar kake udon comes in a steamy dashi broth, while the zaru udon comes soupless. Instead, the cold noodles come with a soy-based sauce on the side to either pour over the bowl or use as a dip.

Princie Kim

Though the noodles are the star of the show, a selection of toppings further elevate Shin’s udon. While other specialty udon shops might make toppings seem like an afterthought, Shin Udon pays as much attention to perfecting the cook of each topping as it does its noodles. Its tempura is crisp and greaseless, which makes for the most satisfying crunch. The tender whites of the restaurant's soft-boiled eggs encase the sunshine-hued yolk that oozes over the noodles. Mixing and matching any combination of toppings from the long list is sure to compliment the clean taste of either the kake or zaru udon.

A trip to Tokyo without a mouthful of Shin Udon’s chewy, chubby and bouncy noodles is an incomplete one. Bump Shin to the top of your Tokyo bucket list because it's an experience that truly can’t be replicated anywhere else.