You're likely already familiar with the many treats Taiwan has to offer: boba milk tea, stinky tofu, beef noodles, and the list goes on. After 18 years of being spoiled by "Mother Taiwan", I attempted to find those same comforting flavors in Taiwanese food in Berkeley. I am delighted to say that I have found not one, but three spots that remind me of home. Here are Berkeley’s best eateries that will teleport you to Taiwan for every single meal of the day.

Breakfast: Sheng Kee Bakery

Ellie Yamanaka

When I get sick of the dining hall breakfast, it is very tempting to walk down to Telegraph's Sheng Kee Bakery for one of the greatest varieties of breads and pastries I've seen in Berkeley. You might feel the same when you approach the doorway and are greeted by a huge spread of chocolate cream buns, pineapple coconut buns, cheese puff cakes, red bean toast, egg tarts, and more. The familiar doughy and sweet scents of these soft, puffy, and flakey breads that are so popular back in Taiwan will make you walk further inside.

Ellie Yamanaka

Unlike many Western pastries such as croissants, Danishes, muffins, and scones, Taiwanese breads mix the sweet and the savory in some of the most interesting ways possible. Whether it's pineapple with raisin, pork floss plus cream, or bread in BBQ sauce, nothing is too weird for the creative food culture of Taiwan and you can find all of it right at Sheng Kee.

#SpoonTip: Can’t wait to eat already? Sit down at one of Sheng Kee's seats by the door and enjoy your bread with a drink for under $3!

Lunch: Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks

Ellie Yamanaka

Located in the famous “Asian Ghetto”, Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks and its entrance are quite small, but what you get out of it is surprisingly big: its eye-popping and most popular snack, the XXL Crispy Chicken, is the size of your face and is priced under $8. You also get to choose which part of the chicken you want from the breast, leg, or thigh.

Ellie Yamanaka

As if this weren't enough, the sizes of the Taiwanese meals are even bigger. From the Handmade Oyster Mee Sua to Grandma’s Braised Meat Rice, your tummy will thank you for filling foods that are authentic in their preparation, color, smell, and taste. Everything at Shihlin is just like it is in Taiwan—big portions at low prices.

Dinner: Tea Press

Ellie Yamanaka

For dinner, Tea Press is the place to go. The restaurant, located on Bancroft, is famous among Taiwanese students for its substantial and surprisingly healthy bento boxes. It also has one of the best boba milk tea deals in town.

Another plus is the service. Tea Press is operated by a mother and her daughter, both of whom are as hardworking as they are caring. They still remember the favorite order of a longtime customer a year after he graduated from UC Berkeley!

Ellie Yamanaka

Every bento box has two cups of rice, three ounces of meat, one cup of roasted vegetables, and three ounces of tofu—you’ve got your complex carbohydrates, proteins, and veggies covered. For a perfect ending to your day savoring Taiwanese food in Berkeley, try not one, but two servings of boba milk tea, jasmine milk, Thai tea, or Thai coffee for just $3.50.

There is more to Taiwanese food than just pineapple cake, oyster omelette, and shaved ice, as good as they already are. You can thank me when your friends start commenting on how refined your taste in Taiwanese food is!