While I cannot call myself a native New Yorker, I still know my bagels. In fact, I would argue that New Jersey’s food can compete with anything that NYC has to offer. That being said, coming to UVM was hard for me strictly because it is SO hard to find a perfect bagel in the area.

After three years of investigating, I have found the most authentic bagel joints in and around Burlington, and as hard as it is for me to tell everyone my favorite places, I’m sharing my findings.

The Bagel Place

bagels

Photo by Jasper Xingyaun Wei

The only downside to The Bagel Place is the massive line it attracts on Saturday and Sunday Mornings. Every time I go there I see a new cream cheese flavor that only a genius could think of. They also offer great lunch sandwiches in addition to a normal breakfast menu.

Suggestion: Taylor Ham, egg and cheese

Burlington Bagel Café

bagels

Photo by Jasper Xingyaun Wei

I didn’t hear about this place until after my sophomore year, and when I went I was convinced to put cream cheese on my bagel for the first time ever. It’s safe to say that I wasted two full years searching for a great New York bagel (and 20 years eating a bagel and lox without the cream cheese). On top of their bagel selection they also have great coffee to go with them.

Suggestion: Bagel and lox with cream cheese

Feldman’s

bagels

Photo by Jasper Xingyaun Wei

When I heard of a place in Burlington called Feldman’s Bagels, I had to check it out. Feldman’s truly gets what a New York bagel is supposed to taste like, and they make sure that every bagel they sell is made just right.

Suggestion: Bagel with maple syrup

Want more?