Greenwich Village in New York City is the place to be. Not only does the area have a calm atmosphere filled with students from New York University, but it also has many trendy restaurants to choose from.

The hard part is choosing where you want to go and what meal you’re going to select when you get there. When you visit Greenwich Village, don’t expect to consume your usual three meals in a day. The concept of eating three meals a day in New York City is a lie. Try starting with five.

1. France: Maison Kayser

Greenwich Village

Photo by Yashna Kothary

First stop: Maison Kayser for breakfast. This spot is a bit more expensive than your typical breakfast joint, but definitely worth a trip. In case you haven’t heard of Eric Kayser, he’s a French chef who’s made a name for himself after opening his first bakery in Paris. As soon as you walk inside you’ll see rows of small delicate cakes and you’ll smell the freshly baked baguettes lining the shelves. Mr. Kayser doesn’t mess around.

For a light start, go with the bread basket or the croissant basket, I honestly can’t tell you which one was better. They also have a good selection of herbal teas and one of my favorite dishes was the Epinards and Chèvre. If you’ve never heard of this dish before, think of it as creamy poached eggs served to you by a French dude. Basically the best goddamn eggs you’ve ever known.

Greenwich Village

Photo courtesy of epicurioustravelers.com

2. Japan: Beyond Sushi

Greenwich Village

Photo by Yashna Kothary

Head over to Beyond Sushi for a mid-day snack. Vegan sushi has never tasted so good, and it’s the fresh ingredients and specialty sauces that keep customers coming back for more. Their most popular rolls are the Mighty Mango, Spicy Mushroom, Green Machine and La Fiesta rolls. These healthy little bites are pretty addicting, so I’d recommend ordering a few rolls between you and your friends so you can mix and match your lunch.

Although you may not be much of a food-sharer, this is one of those places where sharing comes to your advantage. So don’t become like Joey over here.

Greenwich Village

3. American: S’MAC

Greenwich Village

Photo by Yashna Kothary

Now it’s time for some good old mac n’ cheese, by far one of the best comfort foods ever invented. You know that long gap between lunch and dinner that you can’t stand? Your tummy will thank you after you’ve visited S’MAC.

The menu includes classic dishes along with some revamped editions, like the Buffalo Chicken, Masala and Parisienne mac n’ cheese. If you’re indecisive about food (like me), go for the Mongo size: you get to choose a sample of up to five different mac n’ cheese dishes, including an option to build your own. That’s right, go big or go home.

#SpoonTip: Walk off the multiple food comas by exploring the best sights in Greenwich Village.

4. Italian: Artichoke Basille Pizza

Greenwich Village

Photo courtesy of rockettes.com

Why have one dinner when you can have two? Students from New York University usually cram into this hole-in-the-wall pizzeria with a beer in one hand and a ginormous slice of pizza in the other. There isn’t much seating space, so feel free to roam the Village as you munch on that pizza slice. And yes, you guessed it, one of their most popular pizzas has artichokes, a cream sauce, mozzarella, and pecorino cheese. Need we say more?

5. Middle Eastern: Mamoun’s

Greenwich Village

Photo by Julia Shin

Another casual dinner spot right next door is Mamoun’s Falafel. Mamoun’s has been around since 1971 serving traditional Middle Eastern dishes to forever-hungry college students. It’s perfect for those late-night munchies when you feel obligated to eat something healthy. Savor the hummus and the vegetarian plate while you’re there. Also, their falafel sandwiches are only $3.50. With food so cheap and so tasty, Mamoun’s always comes in clutch.