The next time you plan a weekend getaway or a quick day trip to the San Diego area, make sure you check out Coronado Island. Coronado is a quaint beach island located south of San Diego known for the famous Hotel Del Coronado that sits on a gorgeous, world-famous beach.

Coronado

Photo courtesy of tia.photoshelter.com

I was lucky enough to spend the first seven years of my life living on the island where I could pedal around town on my beach cruiser and spot the tourists walking up and down Orange Avenue. I love going back to Coronado to visit friends, check out the new shops and restaurants and escape from reality by hanging at the beach.

Coronado

Photo by Antonella Cooper

Here’s a complete list of the best places in Coronado to check out to get the most out of your trip and not look like a complete tourist. 

Day 1

Breakfast: Clayton’s Diner

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @ekayani_musical_yoga on Instagram

Start your morning off at one of the oldest establishments on the Island. Clayton’s features the classic diner foods like saucer-sized pancakes, biscuits and gravy and milkshakes (yes for breakfast).

It is one of my favorite places to go when I visit Coronado because it brings back childhood memories and you get the old school vibes with the on-table jukeboxes. I recommend trying the Buttermilk Hotcakes and the Toad in the Hole. 

Lunch: Tartine 

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @Readbite on Instagram

After breakfast, head to the northeast side of the island for a European lunch at Tartine. They offer great paninis, quiches, and pastries. I recommend trying their Spinach, Tomato and Gruyere Quiche with a cup of soup.

Coffee Break: The Coronado Coffee Company

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @maggie_mayy23 on Instagram

Stop for a quick caffeine boost and explore the shops at the Ferry Landing. If you have time, you can even take the ferry over to San Diego.

Dinner: Leroy’s Kitchen + Lounge

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @shotbycolleen on Instagram

This restaurant focuses on bringing farm-to-table dining to the island of Coronado. The menu changes seasonally to offer guests the freshest dishes. I recommend trying Poke Tacos and the Blistered Shishito Peppers.

Day 2

Breakfast: Bruegger’s Bagels

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @lettucedine on Instagram

This breakfast joint is also located on Orange Avenue and is the perfect place to get a grab-and-go breakfast to start off your day of exploring the island. I highly recommend one of their breakfast sandwiches because #instagrambagelgoals. 

Lunch: Picnic at the Del with Boney’s sandwiches 

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @abbyjaayne on Instagram

Eating at the Hotel Del can be quite pricey, so if you aren’t down to drop some cash on lunch, have a picnic at the beach in front of the hotel. You’ll get the same view and experience for less. I recommend buying a sandwich or salad from Boney’s Bayside Market on Orange Avenue.

Dinner: The Brigantine Seafood Restaurant

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @jazz_in_april on Instagram

The Brigantine is a Coronado classic with some of the best fish tacos in town. I would recommend making a reservation for dinner during the weekend because the Brigantine is always hoppin’.

Dessert: Moo Time Creamery

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @mootimecreamery on Instagram

I’m pretty sure this is the only ice cream shop where you’ll find a statue of Elvis and a cow outside. Once upon a time, Elvis had a microphone, but someone stole it. Definitely try one of their handmade waffle cones and don’t forget to take a picture with the King.

Day 3

Brunch: Gustatory

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @gustatory_coronado on Instagram

You won’t find another breakfast spot dishing Benedict Arnold Palmer. It’s a twist on the classic eggs Benedict with a tea-infused hollandaise sauce. There are many more creative dishes at this new breakfast and lunch joint on the island so be sure to check it out.

Sugar Stop: Fuzziwig’s Candy Factory

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @fatfoodqueen on Instagram

Stock up on some sweets to munch on while you’re walking around town or hanging out at the beach. They have a sweet bulk candy section as well has homemade fudge and caramel apples. If you’re overwhelmed, try the Coronado Crunch, a cluster of peanut butter, white chocolate, marshmallows, rice krispies, and chocolate chips, or munch on an Apple Pie caramel apple.

Dinner: Saiko Sushi

Coronado

Photo courtesy of @saikosushi on Instagram

End your busy trip with fresh sushi and a killer view of the Ferry Landing at Saiko Sushi. They have a great happy hour with discounted rolls from 2:30-5:30 on the weekdays and feature different fish dishes throughout the year. Try their Shrimp Tots and one of their signature rolls.