The shore town of Atlantic City is known for gambling; however, just a couple miles from the city are Margate City, Ventnor City, and Longport, residential communities with thriving local restaurants.  If you take a visit down to the shore, here's where to eat in Atlantic City and the surrounding towns.

Ozzie's

2401 Atlantic Ave, Longport, NJ 08403

Andrew Kay

Ozzie's is, as the sign outside says, "A Longport Tradition." The food from the griddle is great; bring real maple syrup as Ozzie's only offers sugar syrup. Go here for Longport's take on a New Jersey Diner. 

Tomatoes

9300 Amherst Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

Contrary to what its name suggests, Tomatoes is not a pizza place. The two menus can cater to all; there's a sushi menu with great fish and a traditional American menu. Bring your parents here for a good meal for all.  

Chef Vola's

111 S Albion Pl, Atlantic City, NJ 08401

Andrew Kay

Chef Vola's is a cash-only, BYOB, reservation-only restaurant inside a cozy house. A reservation here is sacred and you can only get one by calling two months ahead. Get the Veal Parmesan and the House Salad.

Hannah G's

7310 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor City, NJ 08406

Come early for breakfast because arrival after 10am will mean waiting in a long line. If you do arrive later, the food is worth the wait. Order one of the many egg dishes or go healthier with one of the many protein-packed griddle dishes.

Steve and Cookie's By the Bay

9700 Amherst Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

Steve and Cookie's is the best restaurant on the island, so reservations are hard to score. If you can't get a reservation, go as a walk-in to the Oyster Bar next door, which offers the same menu. Get lots of seafood and the off-menu blueberry pie.

The Knife and Fork Inn

3600 Atlantic Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 0840

The landmark Knife and Fork is over a century old. In that century, they have mastered the perfect dining experience. Eat here for traditional American food with exceptional seafood. 

Domenico's

5223 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor City, NJ 08406

Andrew Kay

Domenico's is a hidden gem in Ventnor, serving classic Italian food in a modern setting. Make sure to call in before the dinner to reserve a pork chop.

Ventura's Greenhouse

106 S Benson Ave #106, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

Ventura's Greenhouse consists of two restaurants, both amazing. Come to the outside bar for pizza, seafood and live music. The inside restaurant serves Italian food and fish. Most places don't do mussels well, but Ventura's is not most places.

No. 7311

7311 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor City, NJ 08406

Andrew Kay

No. 7311 is a coffee shop and bakery run by the owners of Steve and Cookie's By the Bay. The bakery sells the same pies (pecan, peanut butter, the seasonal blueberry, and many more) you can find at Steve and Cookie's. Go in, get a latte and a biscotti, and enjoy your morning.

Margate Dairy Bar

9510 Ventnor Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

Finish off your beach day with a visit to Margate Dairy Bar. The popular ice cream place can be crowded on summer nights, but it's worth the wait. Stuff your face with ice cream or get the healthier water ice.

Margate Community Farmer's Market

Parking Lot on the Corner of N Monroe Ave & Amherst Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

If your visit to Margate happens to fall on a Thursday, make sure to stop at the Farmer's Market. Open from 8:30 a.m. until noon, the Farmer's Market is the place to go for fresh produce (including Jersey Tomatoes) and seafood. 

Junior's Doughnuts and Dogs

9315 Amherst Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

Junior's Doughnuts and Dogs is a small hut right on the bay. Come for lunch and eat a dog or get here after dinner to get a doughnut and watch the sunset.

Two Cents Plain

9305 Ventnor Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402

Andrew Kay

This cash-only ice cream parlor is an old fashioned gem. You can't go wrong with their ice cream and a fresh waffle. As you wait for your ice cream, make sure to enjoy the pretzels on the table.

Atlantic City can be very overwhelming. Big hotels and flashy lights bring lots of tourists and not-so-great restaurants. Take the drive a couple of miles south and find the good food you crave with this guide to the best food in the surrounding towns.