I’ve been living in Westwood for three years now, yet every time I trek into the village, I discover a new shop or restaurant. With a majority of these storefronts being restaurants, Westwood is beginning to establish its presence and create a name for itself in the LA food world.

However, this comes at a price. A lot of restaurants are closing their doors to make room for all of these new restaurants. While I am excited to try each of these new restaurants, I am also mourning the loss of some of my favorite spots. So while you’re celebrating these new openings, remember to pour some out for the fallen homies.

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

GIF courtesy of freaksugar.com

This guide will tell you exactly which Westwood restaurants are no longer, what to try, and which restaurants to look forward to:

Restaurants That Closed This Summer

Yamato

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo courtesy of @westwoodvillage on Instagram.

TBH, my heard broke a little bit when I found out Yamato was closing. I’m not sure what I will miss more: the StarWars memorabilia or the clutch happy hour deals. #RIP

Five Guys

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo courtesy of @fiveguys on Instagram.

I’m sure that I am violating multiple laws and offending many people by making this next statement, but I have to stand up for what I believe in and stay true to myself, so here it goes: In-N-Out is just OK. I honestly don’t see what the hype is about; the burger patties are thin and the fries taste like cardboard (you West Coast natives might hate to admit it, but you know it’s true). I would take a thick, juicy beef patty and cajun seasoned fried from Five Guys over an In-N-Out double-double and animal style fries any day. However, unfortunately for Five Guys, In-N-Out has established it’s presence as the dominate burger joint in Westwood and as a result, Five Guys is no longer in business. You will be missed, Five Guys.

Noodle World

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo Courtesy of @noodleworld on Instagram

Competing with restaurants like Emporium Tai, Iso Fusion Cafe, and the rest of the Asian food market in Westwood, Noodle World could not stay afloat and closed for business this summer.

The Glendon Bar & Grill

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo Courtesy of @GlendonLA on Facebook

There was a silence heard across the world when The Glendon Bar & Grill closed their doors for good last month. The California cuisine and happy hour drink deals will surely be missed.

Barbacoa Mexican Grill

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo Courtesy of @BarbacoaMexicanGrillLA on Facebook

Unfortunately, Barbacoa Mexican Grill also closed this summer.

Opened

Tender Greens

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo courtesy of @tendergreenswestwood on Instagram.

After a two year wait, Tender Greens is finally open! This fast-causal restaurant chain serves up healthy, locally-sourced bites. The menu offers large salads as well as a variety of proteins that can be served on a sandwich, salad, or on a hot plate with their signature yukon gold mashed potatoes.

KazuNori

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo courtesy of @kazunorisushi on Instagram.

KazuNori is the upscale casual, hand roll-specializing counterpart of Chef Kazunori Nozawa’s establishment, Sugarfish. KazuNori offers a set menu that is simple yet high quality. Here, you can get three, four, or five hand rolls at a time; all for under $20.

Frostalicious

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Located across the street from Brandy Melville, Frostalicious offers the world’s first self-service shaved ice experience. This Taiwanese treat comes in flavors such as strawberry buttermilk, cucumber mint, and creamy mango and can be garnished with toppings such as berries, warm honey boba, handmade mochi, and velvety condsensed milk.

Northern Cafe

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Taking over what was formerly a Mongolian BBQ restaurant, Northern Cafe is Westwood’s newest oriental eatery. This fast-casual Chinese restaurant offers 10 varieties of dumplings as well as other house entrees.

Coming Soon

Sweetfin Poké

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

As a self-proclaimed poké connoisseur, there may be no one more excited for the opening of Sweetfin Poké than myself. There’s just something about the Hawaiian combination of fresh fish, rice, ponzu, and fruit and vegetable toppings that just turns me on. And damn, does Sweetfin do it well.

Rocco’s Tavern

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Rocco’s Tavern is taking over what was once O’Harah’s (aka Maloney’s, if you’re as old as I am). This new Italian spot serves up traditional bar food as well as a selection of pizzas and pastas.

While I am admittedly low-key butt-hurt that our one campus bar is no longer (because lets be honest, Barney’s doesn’t count), the owner does intend on remodeling the basement level into a high-end lounge and bar area. I am anxious to see how it turns out, however, the infamy that was Maloney’s pint night will not be forgotten.

Qwench Juice Bar

Whats Changed on the UCLA Food Scene

Photo courtesy of @qwenchjuice on Instagram.

Watch out Nekter and Jamba Juice, there’s a new juice bar coming to Westwood. Be sure to check out Qwench Juice Bar for some nourishing juices and açaí bowls. Qwench is taking over what was previously The Coffee Bean located on the corner of Gayley and Weyburn Ave.

Still mourning over the loss of your favorite restaurant? The feeling it mutual. But we can get through this together. Embrace the change and follow this guide to discover your new favorite spot to eat at UCLA.