You know them, you love them, and you want to catch them all – Pokémon. The famous franchise finally opened a permanent café in March 2018 in Tokyo and has since charmed its visitors from the moment they enter. Every little detail inside the café is dedicated to the beloved world of Pokémon and allows you to enjoy your time as a trainer, fan, or being the Pokémon-obsessed person that you are.  

Selina Auer

How to get there

You will find the Pokémon Café in Nihonbashi, near Tokyo Station. It is located on the 5th floor of the Takashimaya department store, which you can access straight from the station. On the same floor you will find one of the many Pokémon Centers in Tokyo, where you can stock up on Pokémon goodies. The Café itself is located in a vast, bright and open space, offering seats for big and small happy groups alike.

Selina Auer

Once you're there

The entire visit is an experience in itself. The space is already gorgeous, but the detailed and lovingly prepared decorations will give you something to look at and to explore for the whole time you spend there. It is not as crazy or colorful as you might expect, but you will see symbols engraved in the decor and only a few statues of the most famous and beloved Pokémon. This “more is less”-approach is partly why this café is so special. It makes it a place that everyone can enjoy.

Selina Auer

Even on the menu – Pokémon all the way

Now you might think the theme is already represented in the interior design, but that is not all. Once you are seated, you will have to order your food through tablets that are placed on each table. There you will find a wide variety of hot and cold drinks, all with a Pokémon theme. If you feel like a coffee, they have all of the 150 original Pokémon you can chose from for café latte art. As for other drinks, there is even a Gengar Smoothie and a cocktail with different Eevee evolutions!

Selina Auer

If you're hungry, you can choose from a range of original Pokémon-themed dishes! You will not be disappointed, from Pancakes to burgers or omelet rice, and a (not surprisingly) Jiggleypuff cheesecake, everything looks very picturesque on the tablet, and looks and TASTES even better in real life!

Selina Auer

These are just a few examples how creative they got with their dish creations:

Feeling electrified during your visit? Then you can go for the beloved Pikachu-Plate, which has lots of yums to dig in to. The Pikachu on the Plate is an omelet rice dish, served with a Hamburg Steak, shrimps, fried potatoes and a salad on the side. As a bonus, if you eat everything, you will reveal Pikachu´s face on the plate!

Are you craving a burger? The buns of the Eevee Teriyaki Chicken Burger are shaped just like the Pokémon itself, not to mention, they are freshly made! It also comes with a side soup and French fries.

Do you want to chill like a Snorlax? Then you will enjoy this rice dish with Hamburg steaks, that look exactly like the iconic lazy Pokémon. It is served with lots of fresh veggies and a small side soup.

Or are you a fan of Mimikyu? The Chocolate Banana Crepe is just the dessert for you, it not only tastes good, but is topped with lots of fruits that complement the chocolate perfectly.

Selina Auer

When my friend and I visited, we were surprised by how fresh everything was and by how much care was put into arranging each of the plates. The dishes we tried tasted really delicious;  all the vegetables had a good crunch, the fruits were fresh - and the pancake cream was heavenly. The café has a high quality for their ingredients, and what's more, you can even purchase the glasses, cups and plates on which the food is served (since they're all Pokémon merch as well) to recreate your favorites at home. They have a lot of original goodies, and many original souvenirs and goods you can only find in the café, like thermos flasks with the café logo, plushies or Pokéball-shaped cups!

Selina Auer

System and Reservation

To get a table secured at the café, you will need a reservation. They are mandatory, and to make one, you will have to go onto their official website. But beware, spots fill up pretty quickly, so advanced planning is advised!

Selina Auer

If you made it to your reservation and into the café, you won't be disappointed. You will find something new to discover on every corner. The eye-and taste-bud pleasing food and drinks will give a real Pokémon trainer-feeling, and the merch will please your wallet (and make your hand luggage lighter, hopefully). The staff seem to really love their job and give their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, adding in some performances as well. It will be a memorable visit, so get your seat and enjoy your nostalgic time-travel and you know…catch 'em all.